Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The Linkster's Trifecta Box

FYI: On my way to my local OTB to bet the Kentucky Derby. Trifecta box bet 7- (Justify) 11- Bolt d' Oro) -18 Vino Rosso).
Regards,
Ted

Comments

• edited May 2018
    Hi @Ted,

Getting one out of three right ... ain't to bad.

Now, if you'd followed Old_Skeet's betting strategy (by betting each of your picks to win, place or show) you'd be in the money!

I never hit the trifecta very often myself and quit betting it. But, those that did win say ... Thank you.
  • @Ted: Will you be playing Justify in the Preakness ? Along with ?
    As far as your vig question I think it will be going up. More people with their hand out !
    It's "better" to be lucky than good,
    Derf
  • @Derf &MFO Members: Small field, just eight horses. Going chalk with $100 to win on Justify out of the seven hole. Trifecta Box, 7-3-2
    Regards,
    Ted
  • edited May 2018
    Old_Skeet will do a (win, place or show) bet on the following three: Justify, Good Magic & Quip.
  • @Old_Skeet & Ted
    Ted plus 1 Tough race to follow in the fog !
    Derf
  • edited May 2018
    Hi @Derf,

I have attached a link below that explains win place show betting.

On Justify ... I did pretty well myself as I collected 1st ($2.80), 2nd ($2.80)& 3rd place ($2.60) payouts plus my bet money. So, per dollar bet my payout was rather deep as I collected on the other two places as well. In addtion to betting the horse to win, I also bet it to place and to show. With this, score me a three banger (+3).

Granted my other two (win, place show) bets faltered ... but, I was in the money "deep" on Justify collecting on all three places. Note, I did not bet high payout strategies but the simpler strategies designed with lower payouts but a higher opportunity to collect.

http://turfnsport.com/win-place-show-wagering/
  • @ Old_Skeet: You spent $18 & received back $8.20. -$11.80
    Ted won 50 x $2.80 = $140 - $100 = +$40 - his trifecta ticket .

Derf
  • edited May 2018
    Hi @Derf,

Derf you don't know how I split my betting envelope or even if I bet the whole envelope. You just know I had money on three horses to win, place or show. And, one (justify) paid out on all three places that I had money on it. The net on my envelope was indeed a positive return because I had less money wagered on the other two horses. You are (i think) computing this as though I had equal money on each horse.

And, so it goes.

Peace.
  • @ Old _Skeet Tell me $ amount you bet on each horse & type of bet. I can't follow what you're telling me. Think Ted is still + 1 I'll carry this forward for Belmont & then you can be a little more specific with your wagers.
    Derf
    P.S. .. I did pretty well myself as I collected 1st ($2.80), 2nd ($2.80)& 3rd place ($2.60) payouts plus my bet money ????