Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

David Snowball's May Commentary (5/4 update)

TedTed
edited May 2018 in Fund Discussions
FYI: Welcome to the “Wait! Is it already May???” edition of the Mutual Fund Observer.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.mutualfundobserver.com/2018/05/may-1-2018/

Comments

• With Ed just back and recovered from his European vacation, we'll publish an update soon. That is, we'll add Ed's essay - on the need by professionals investors to reinvent themselves to maintain their "edge" in a rapidly evolving ecosystem - to the May offering. It strikes me as a thoughtful piece.

I regret offering no memorial words for Marty Whitman; he surely deserves them but surely deserves them from people who knew and trusted him. I was afraid I had little more than platitudes to offer.

The Prospector fund looks interesting. I began following them when Ron Howard, the long-time manager of Price Capital Appreciation - the equity fund that had the longest-ever streak of years without a loss - left to co-found Prospector. They feel like T Rowe in a compact package.

It's good to start hearing BobC's reflections as he closes a chapter that he'd been writing for 50 years and begins another.

And I really do appreciate your input on the active share piece. I hope it was worth your time.

Take care,

David

• The Prospector fund looks interesting.

David

Yes indeed it does. I'm trying to make sense of the composite MFO risk of 4 in light of everything else.
  • "It's good to start hearing BobC's reflections as he closes a chapter that he'd been writing for 50 years and begins another."

Thanks Bob, I enjoyed your comments !
    Derf
  • We've posted a (rare) mid-cycle addition to our May issue. Ed Studzinski reflects on the lessons of Showtime's Billions and on the imperative for traditionally successful investment managers to regain their edge in a world where the market for funds has fundamentally changed.

Rolling down the Appian Way.

David
  • edited May 2018
    I watch Billions and Love It. Actually I started watching because the actor (forget his name now) who plays Axelrod is fantastic.

I'm appalled at the complement(?) to Bill Miller as "outside the box thinker".
  • @Ben.

The MFO Risk is relative max volatility (of STDEV, DSDEV, Ulcer) versus that of SP500 ...

POPFX is still an equity fund. But, of those, it has about as low a volatility as it gets without holding large cash or bond allocation.

c