Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The Mental Mistakes We Make With Retirement Spending

FYI: The same mind-set and habits that work so well when people are building their nest egg can damage their quality of life—and their investments—in retirement.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.cetusnews.com/news/The-Mental-Mistakes-We-Make-With-Retirement-Spending.S1nOzov2f.html

Comments

• edited April 2018
    One of the best articles I have read. Thanks @Ted. One I will actually be printing out. So many bullet points that are applicable to my situation. I have some work to do still in the spending department but finally have been begun to loosen the purse strings. Recently purchased two low mileage Xterras to go along with my older one. They quit making them in 2015. I hope to be driving them until the day I pass. I love Xterras!

One point mentioned in the article and something I have harped on before is we that we all tend to overestimate our longevity. It’s a natural tendency so I can understand. When younger we all had friends who seemed to go by the motto to live each day as if it is your last. Strangely enough, at least among my friends, those seemed to be the ones who ( A) never made it to old age due to poor health habits or (B) now live hand to mouth in retirement from overspending in their youth. . My point is, it’s not so much when we are young that we should live as if each day is our last, but more so when we are old - and especially those of us who have been blessed in old age with money and good health. Health in old age can change in the blink of an eye so you better live each day to the fullest enjoying whatever your passions may be.
  • @Junkster: Glad you enjoyed the article. I must admit I didn't know what a Xterras was, had to look it up. For those of you ,like myself, who are car challenged, here is a little info on the Xterras
    Regards,
    Ted
    The Nissan Xterra is a truck that was manufactured and marketed by Nissan Motors across two generations, sharing its platform with the Nissan Frontier pickup. Both generations of the Xterra featured a two-box design with a raised rear roofline to enable stadium seating—as well as a bump on the rearmost door expressing

In 2015 Nissan Xterra Discontinued in U.S. ... The Xterra, which competes against the Jeep Wrangler, is being discontinued for regulatory reasons. Nissan would have had to invest in upgraded safety and emissions equipment for what is a fairly limited audience.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Xterras+image&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=HSA_PIqL7ohHHM%3A%2C6XUI7TOndHinRM%2C_&usg=__Mf3ENnwEfZ-Hs4fR1uRycFVBOQU=&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi6oMevkM7aAhWN94MKHZ9qBgwQ9QEILTAB#imgrc=HSA_PIqL7ohHHM:
  • edited April 2018
    Ted, they are much more prevalent in states like Utah and Colorado because of their off road prowess. They come in handy for me here in KY, TN, and NC because of some of the iffy dirt and rocky roads I have to navigate on my hiking destinations. But more importantly my original Xterra, a 2008, has been the most maintenance free vehicle I have ever owned. Having the oil changed regularly and new tires every 45,000 miles have been about the only expenses. Although it is certainly no status vehicle, it’s nice to drive something you don’t see very often in my neck of the woods. In my neck of the woods it is almost all pick up trucks.
  • edited April 2018
    I was just debating fixing up the old reliable 13-year old GMC pickup for somewhere between $3,000 and $5,000 or buying a brand new one. Took a look. Sticker prices of $40,000 - $80,000 convinced me to fix up the old one. (What inflation?)

BTW - When I was a kid in the 50s, pickup trucks were what some of the poorer folks drove. Cost less than full sized cars. How that changed!
  • I was just debating fixing up the old reliable 13-year old GMC pickup for somewhere between $3,000 and $5,000 or buying a brand new one. Took a look. Sticker prices of $40,000 - $80,000 convinced me to fix up the old one. (What inflation?)
    That is the reason we drive a minivan as a family car. SUVs are expensive! We rent one recently not by choice (only ones left in the lot) and had less than satisfactory experience with it comparing to our minivan. Next time we will walk over to another rental shop at the airport.
  • We have taken to buying used Priuses (not great if you need a minivan or pickup, naturally, both of which we have had) and our car expenses in all respects have never been lower. It makes a real cashflow difference.