Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Jonathan Clements: Exposing Yourself

FYI: PUT YOURSELF in their shoes. I’ve been doing that in recent weeks, thinking about how I’d design a portfolio if I lived in, say, Australia, Japan or the United Kingdom. What prompted this navel-gazing? I’m in the middle of revising my 2016 book, How to Think About Money, for an international audience.

One conclusion: Here in the U.S., we have it far easier than foreign investors—and a big reason is currency exposure. Roughly speaking, U.S. securities account for half of global stock market value and half of global bond market value. That means we in the U.S. can build globally diversified portfolios—and still end up with relatively modest foreign exchange exposure.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.humbledollar.com/2018/04/exposing/