Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

• bee April 2018
  • msf April 2018
Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

T Rowe Price International Discovery Fund closed to new investors 4/2/18

edited April 2018 in Fund Discussions
https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/313212/000031321218000042/idfpta-march11.htm

Excerpt:

"Purchase and Sale of Fund Shares

Effective at the close of the New York Stock Exchange on Monday, April 2, 2018, the fund will be closed to new investors and new accounts, subject to certain exceptions. Investors who already hold shares of the fund at the close of business on Monday, April 2, 2018, will be permitted to continue to purchase additional shares."

Closing was listed in 3/1/18 summary prospectus

http://www.morningstar.com/news/pr-news-wire/PRNews_20180402PH54574/t-rowe-price-closes-international-discovery-fund-to-new-investors.html

Comments

• beebee
    edited April 2018
    @TheShadow ...thanks for this information. I wonder... is it always a good thing when a fund closes?

Comments welcome.

As part of a new series I am calling Friday Night Lights...Action...Camera I am going use Jing's video feature to dive a little deeper into another filing that @TheShadow is probably familiar with known as the "Statement of Additional Information" or the "SAI" filing. My apologies for my learning curve with this medium.

This is Part One: TRP's most recent SAI and director compensation and investments in TRP funds:
    Part One
    Part Two: Portfolio Managers’ Holdings in the Price Funds
    Part Two
  • My experience with TRP is that they're pretty accommodating when it comes to opening new accounts of a closed fund by moving shares in-kind (e.g. from an IRA to your taxable account, or from a traditional to a Roth IRA).

So take "closed to ... new accounts subject to certain exceptions" with a grain of salt. In-kind transfers appear to be one of those exceptions.