Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Timing Country Exposure With Value: A Valuation Measure Horserace

FYI: This is a motto many live by, not only in their daily lives but also in their investment philosophy. Historically, “buying cheap” stocks was a good idea (i.e., the so-called “value” premium).

But how might valuation matter when it comes to country allocations? In other words, given valuations, how much money should I allocate to U.S. equity and how much should I allocate to International equity?

There is no right or wrong answer here. Some, such as Warren Buffet, recommends ~100% U.S. exposure (as of 2017). However, as we have discussed here, the high U.S. equity returns may be anomalous.

So given current valuation information, and knowing that diversification is the so-called “free lunch” of investing, how can one approach the U.S./International allocation decision?

Two simple solutions are generally offered:

Allocate according to overall market-cap of the respective markets. This is currently around 52% U.S. and 48% Developed International.
Split the assets evenly — 50% U.S. and 50% International.

Both are decent approaches to this decision.

But what about allocating capital based on “cheapness”? In other words, value-investing across equity exposure
Regards,
Ted
https://alphaarchitect.com/2018/04/03/timing-country-exposure-value-valuation-measure-horserace/