Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

• bee April 2018
Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Investors Greet Target-Date Funds With Collective Yawn

FYI: The first target-date funds were created in 1994, but after nearly a quarter-century of action they don’t seem to be wowing the investing public. At least that’s the indication of a recent survey of retirees and pre-retirees conducted by Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.fa-mag.com/news/investors-greet-target-date-funds-with-collective-yawn-37952.html?print

Comments

• beebee
    edited April 2018
    I did a quick (maybe not so quick) screen of M*'s target date funds on my brokerage platform (run by Fidelity).
    Unfiltered:
    -945 Retirement Date Funds appeared in the first unfiltered screen. Most fund descriptors include a specific year in time (2010 - 2060).

My first screen tried to identify the high barrier to entry funds. There were 180 funds that required more than a $1M minimum initial investment (the highest being $15M). Many of these funds had such small AUM that they appear to be set up for a small handful of high net worth investors who are worried about their retirement. Wish I had their problem.

This group of funds had a variety of descriptors that seemed worth sharing:
    SmartRetirement (JP Morgan)
    Balance Risk Retire (Invesco)
    One Choice (American Century)
    Lifepath Dynamic or Index or Smart Beta (BlackRock)
    RealPath (Pimco)
    Target (Manning & Nappier & Wells Fargo)
    Retirement (AllianzGI)
    LifeSmart (Franklin)
    Multi manager & Multi Index (JHancock)

I then filter for funds with an initial minimum of $2,500 or less:
    -750 funds appeared

I Filtered for: No Fee / TF (this removed loaded funds - more than half of the above 750 carried loads)
    -366 funds appeared

I Filter out High ER funds (set ER at 1.0% or lower):
    -325 funds appeared

I Filter for low ER (set ER at .5% or lower):
    -105 funds appeared

I Filter for lowest ER (set ER at .3% or lower):
    -36 funds appeared from four companies:
    Vanguard, Fidelity, Wells Fargo and Schwab

Returning to the 325 fund choice screen (funds with an ER of 1% or lower)...

I screened for both a high 3 yr Sharpe Ratio and a high 3 year Alpha:
    -45 funds appeared, with the vast majority of these funds being American Funds.
    -Also, M* consistently gave many of these American Funds 5* rating over 1,3,5 & 10 yr
    -American Funds have many share classes options (R6, R5 & F2 seem the cheapest)
    -Vanguard had 1 fund (Target Income = VTINX).
    -Fidelity had 1 fund (Fidelity Freedom income = FFFAX)

Finally, I lowered the ER back down to .05% (to capture the lowest ER share classes):
    -23 funds appeared (21 fund are managed by American Funds and their initial minimum is $250)