Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Bring back the old format....Pleassssse. What do others think?

edited April 2011 in Technical Questions
This format is just to hard to tell what I've already read, who's posted, who's added new comments.

I'll give this a try for a while, but it could loose me.

Comments

• hi Mike
    that's what I wanted to do but others complaints due to too many posts
    I guess you have to check every links everytime you 'log in'
    regards
  • Count me as a vote in favor of the new look. I may be in the minority, but I like the uncluttered look. Yeah, it may add a few seconds to look at a specific discussion, but I know it will help me when I am looking at 3-4 days of discussions, after I have been absent from the board.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Howdy,

Suck it up, youngsters. If this old geezer can adjust, so can you. The new format is more powerful and flexible and it'll be fine.

Give it a chance,

rono
  • Takes a little bit of getting used to coming from the old board, but there's a lot I like (such as the ability to edit posts.)

This is from a 30-something.
  • I like the new format too.
    One small suggestion though. Can you add the OP author's name too?
  • Give it a chance. I'm sure there will be bugs and some changes over time.
  • I am fine with the new look. It is an adjustment period.
  • Like anything else that's new & different, it'll take time to adjust to. If ancient ancient geezers like Rono can navigate the new board, then ANYONE can adjust to the new look! : )
  • Is it possible to have the full avatar be displayed instead of just a thumbnail of the avatar?
  • For avatar buffs: 1. upload a photo from your computer into your account. 2. the thumbnail can then be changed by clicking on the avatar (uploaded photo) and then try dragging the photo (which opens up a "box" on your avatar). 3. then play with the box until you get what you want from your photo which will then be used as your avatar. 4. click save and voila, your thumbnail has now the portion of your avatar which you want to have displayed next to your username. Easy-peasy! : )
  • Yep, I miss the old board. Hang in there though. It'll get better. We just aint discovered all the beauty here yet. Battled couple hours Saturday trying to upload a different picture than the first. Now the pict just shows when you click my name which is fine. No way to get rid of it though. Thats fine too. Just glad didnt upload something bad by accident cause once its here your stuck with it.
  • edited November 2011
  • Hank, you can delete the picture on the activity page
    http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/index.php?p=/profile/76/hank

there will be an option that say delete when you hover the mouse over the message that says hank changed his picture. You will see the delete message on the right. You can delete anything except the join message on that page that refers to yourself.
  • For the first few days I was not sure, but once I got a little bit accustomed to the new format it's fine! Posting a comment is certainly easier and more elegant.
  • edited April 2011
    I like the new one.
  • Old format had a very cluttered UI, so hopefully this will be an improvement.
  • The most important thing for me is that David (with the technical help of Brad) has accepted the HUGE (and probably mostly unrewarded) task of continuing this Forum. I would hate to have him get overwhelmed with complaints about some of the details. I just want this Forum (and the great people in it) to continue.

P.S. I also preferred old format at first in being able to see ALL the names of replies, etc. But I now find it much nicer to read ALL the replies by just scrolling down one page - and it's easy to zero in on replies most relevant for me.
  • YES---this format tends to become a tad tiring/laborious....not as user friendly as other---i would prefer the 'old format'.
  • edited April 2011
    (wrong post, ignore)
  • I agree with many posters here who have said that the old format was better, as I like to follow the discussion threads. While, I definitely don't want to undermine the great effort and dedication of David and others who started this site, I like the simplicity of something like Google groups, which are free, can be moderated, have both structures (threaded as well as linear as here) and should require less maintenance.
    I would definitely continue to participate here, but I suspect some posters who were attracted to the old format may slowly lose interest.
  • I came to Fundalarm discussions for the content. I found its format dense, opaque and frustrating at first, not to mention the heavy use of shorthand abbreviations and insider references. I found myself willing to learn my way around because the combination of high quality contributors and ruthless moderation repaid the effort.

I followed the gang to MutualFundObserver for the content (again). The format is different, although more like other discussion boards, therefore potentially easier for new folks.

For what is essentially a volunteer effort, this transition is going great, I think. If you have specific wishes, make sure you make a contribution to help defray the cost of implementation and support, as I have already done.

As long as the content is good, I am sure I will be able to adapt to the format.

GregFromBoston
  • Have to agree with Kaspa - that wonderful elegant open structure is gone. Now when I go to the discussion page, the page always looks almost the same. I can't see at a glance that a spirited discussion is going on between A and B. So I seem to be looking less often.....
  • I have two major problems with the new format.
    1. Page loads are taking FOREVER.
    2, Signing in is a pain, I have a very long email address. I would occasionally post and it was easy with a short user name and 56789 password. Now, not so much.

So I'll just be lurking which I guess is okay. Unless page loads stay this slow, in which case I'll disappear.
  • Wager,

You could if you wanted to help yoursef- change the address on file to a newly created one on mail.yahoo.com or some other site just for the purpose of signing in. As few as four character, e.g. a_z_ as a name is unused in yahoo.com
  • Wager, after clicking the sign-in link, I get a box that can be checked to keep you signed in. If using the same computer, no need to keep singing in. Suppose it could be the Chrome browser doing that, but thought I'd mention it.