Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Facebook, digital everything.

https://www.bloomberg.com/businessweek
"Over and over in the last 20 years we’ve watched low-cost or free internet communications platforms spring from the good intentions or social curiosity of tech folk. We’ve watched as these platforms expanded in power and significance, selling their influence to advertisers. Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Google—they grew so fast. One day they’re a lovable new way to see kid pix, next thing you know they’re reconfiguring democracy, governance, and business..."

Comments

• There are something to be said about privacy. Tough to avoid technology today but everyone can make inform decision on how to share personal information.

Not relate to this topic, what is happening at Facebook remind me of the movie Minority Report where the police utilize a psychic technology to arrest and convict murderers before they commit their crime.
  • I was just looking over some WSJ reader comments on this subject, and am hard-pressed to improve on this one:

This is (for once) not a failure of government or the lack of regulation. People who put their whole lives on FB, or even a part of their lives are completely foolish to believe that a "for free" service isn't going to try to use their data to market to them or sell to others for their use. That's how business works. There's no free lunch, people!
  • failure of government or the lack of regulation
    Hard to imagine how these informations do not being monetized in public traded companies. When one freely posted their personal information on these sites, they become the company's property and can be use whatever they wish. This practice is far more invasive than Amazon who is tracking your purchase habit. Facebook can profile just about everything about their users.

Present administration can care less about regulations, especially consumers.
  • My own FB account is now dormant, and I can't get in. For what it's worth, I often fill-in the required stuff with a new email box, for instance, with a silly fictional name, maybe tell them I'm female, born in 1911. Because--- privacy. None of those outfits needs to know ANYTHING about me.