Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

This is it or melt up?

A few weeks ago on Consuelo Mack's program, Bob Doll said that there were only 2 possibilities: either this is it (meaning the bull market is ending......or......we have a melt up that carries the market much higher over the next 1 to 3 years.

Which of these seems more likely at this point? Or is there a third possibility?

Personally, I feel very strongly both ways.

Comments

• For melt up: great economic fundamentals, Fed that appears moderate to dovish, an administration eager to cut whatever taxes / regulations business wants it to

For "this is it": high valuations in nearly every market, several common signs of a peak (e.g. a clearly insane mania, now bitcoin, 20 years ago pets.com etc; or bigtime fraud, now Theranon, then Enron), possible trade war, an executive branch that appears (to me) utterly incapable of handling any kind of crisis, and the chance that Mueller will find a smoking gun and political instability will result.

Hard to say what it'll be, but I've been slowly selling equities, bringing my allocation down to 65% from 80%.