Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Spring Foward, Fall Back: One Hundred Years Later, The Madness Of Daylight Saving Time Endures

FYI: The original arguments Congress made for ‘springing ahead’ have been thoroughly debunked. So why are they still being used today?
Regards,
Ted
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/100-years-later-madness-daylight-saving-time-endures-180968435/

Comments

• Florida's going to Atlantic Time, then, in effect. The Massachusetts legislature has a committee recommending the same idea--- but only if at least SOME other New England States do it, too. Oops, it's a COMMISSION, not a COMMITTEE. This report is from last November:
    https://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/2017/11/02/massachusetts-time-zone-change-proposal/

Decades ago, there were 5 different time-zones in Alaska, because of the narrow longitudinal bands way up there. If you lived in Nome, and wanted to do official business with the State Capital, Juneau, you just have to call in the morning, or forget about it until tomorrow. ... Now, there's just one time zone for the mainland and southeast, and another for the Aleutians. Arizona moves from Pacific Time to Mountain Time, depending on the season. And Hawaii does not change their clocks. In the '70s, I was at school in an extremely rural, isolated place, where the town was named after the monastery there. St. Meinrad, Indiana, very far south in Indiana. The monks who ran the place had an arrangement by which they would just never change their clocks, though everyone else around them did it. There is a suburban Chicago county in Indiana which runs with Chicago, also, rather than conform to Eastern Time with the rest of Indiana. And the folks in Louisville are always concerned around Christmastime that dawn comes so late, out there at the western end of the Eastern Time Zone. The kids wait for the schoolbus in the dark and the cold, under the stars, at a rather late hour. .....
  • msf
    edited March 2018
    Here's the the entire text of the Florida bill; it's 22 lines long, including spacing between paragraphs:
    http://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2018/1013/BillText/er/PDF

So they're actually moving part of the state up two timezones (part is in the Central time zone).

@Crash How did you find going to school in the dead of winter at the crack of dawn or earlier in that rural isolated town during daylight savings time (January 1974)?
  • 2 time zone shift, yikes. I'd forgotten about the panhandle. @msf: I didn't have to go far, and there were tunnels between dorm and classroom bldg. I was there for '76 and into '78, just after the monster blizzard. Alaska before Christmas was weird: 10:30 a.m. and still night-time. With no "light pollution" out there in the bush, the sky was CHOCK-FULL of stars we never see down here. On another note, when I flew back home here, I arrived at night. The next morning, ordinary leaves on trees were giving me a "green-out," seeming to be louder and brighter in color, until I adjusted. It really freaked me out. The same thing, I've learned, happens to those coming up from Antarctica to NZ, or anywhere ELSE where it's green.