Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• edited February 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • msf
    edited February 2018
    I believe you're misreading the Arizona case. Most of it is explained in headnote #2 of the ruling.
    http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2012/images/06/25/scotus.arizona.pdf

What Arizona did was not enforce federal law, but enact its own laws. That's usually okay. But as the headnote explains, a state can't enact laws conflicting with federal law, or when the federal government has exclusive dominion over an area of the law.

Arizona wandered into an area of the law that is exclusive to the federal government - immigration policy. So its laws that substantially affected immigration policy were void. That's not the situation here.
  • Hi @msf
    One may suppose the will of the people or of a state; and as you noted, sometimes the greatest dynamic is not having one's company face dragged through the streets.......not unlike the fines imposed on the big banks.........the "no wrong doing public statement to the Feds, etc.; but yes, we'll gladly pay the fine."

Now, as to conflicts between state and federal law(s); let us be presented with the "hemp" laws, eh?

Just a quick thought for reference and I don't have time to dedicate to this particular area.
    Just rambling.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.