Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

• hank February 2018
  • Ted February 2018
Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Stock Futures Fall in Pre-Maket Hours as Inflation Figures Show Unexpected Rise

edited February 2018 in Off-Topic
CNBC: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/14/us-consumer-price-index-jan-2018.html

U.S. News: https://www.usnews.com/news/business/articles/2018-02-14/asian-shares-mixed-ahead-of-us-inflation-lunar-new-year

Whew! Shortly after 8:30 AM when the figures came out, investors began selling everything on what had started out as a sunny day (with Dow futures positive by around 150).

Among the things being sold indiscriminately shortly after the release were: equities, bonds, gold, energy, copper, wheat. (I’m still checking on peanuts). The Dollar rose on expectations of higher U.S. rates.

Comments

• hank & MFO Members: In my opinion, its a case is the glass half empty or half full. Higher consumer prices in January, didn’t alter the overall picture on inflation. The increase in the CPI over the past 12 months remained unchanged at 2.1%. Futures have somewhat recovered, and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the market in the green at the end of the day.
    Regards,
    Ted
    Regards,
    Tedt
  • edited February 2018
    Right on @Ted.

Actually, I was more encouraged by gold’s rebound later in the morning. More or less by default (thinking equities are expensive) I’ve come to have a higher exposure to the precious metals than in the past. OPGSX, PRPFX, and PRAFX of course. Also, GLD’s the top holding in QVOPX which I added recently. And I suspect (but can’t confirm) that RPGAX holds a bit through its stake in a hedge fund.

Regards