Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

• MJG February 2018
Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Tim Harford’s Guide To Statistics In A Misleading Age

FYI: (Click On Article title At The Top Of Google Search)
The best financial advice for most people would fit on an index card.” That’s the gist of an offhand comment in 2013 by Harold Pollack, a professor at the University of Chicago. Pollack’s bluff was duly called, and he quickly rushed off to find an index card and scribble some bullet points — with respectable results.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=mFqAWs7OLoPKjwSQ5KHgDw&q=FT+Tim+Harford’s+guide+to+statistics+in+a+misleading+age&oq=FT+Tim+Harford’s+guide+to+statistics+in+a+misleading+age&gs_l=psy-ab.3...4036.9488.0.11068.5.4.0.0.0.0.91.292.4.4.0....0...1.1j2.64.psy-ab..1.3.200.0..0j35i39k1j0i131k1j0i20i264k1.0.rh3bJ0L9pAg

Comments

• MJG
    edited February 2018
    Hi Guys,

As Lord Kelvin observed: "Large increases in cost with questionable increases in performance can be tolerated only for race horses and fancy women". Perhaps there might be a few other exceptions.

Good investing advice can be nicely summarized on a postcard. Invest in low cost Index funds and stay the course. This doesn't guarantee success but it greatly improves the odds. Expensive active mutual funds outdistance Index products less than 10% of the time over respectable time horizons like 10 or 15 years. Picking a winner against those odds is unlikely. Many of us persist in that game: lots of luck needed. The professor is on target in this instance.

Best Wishes