Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• I've been reasonably pleased with AQR Risk Parity and International has been okay. Not really interested in this fund as it would be overlap with other funds, but I've been satisfied with the two AQR investments.
  • Dear BWG:In my opinion, trying to combine nine strategies into one fund is like 'too many cooks spoiling the broth', is simply doesn't work For your information, here is a copy and paste from M* on alternative funds returns.
    Regards,
    Ted

1Month, YTD, 3 Month, 1yr., 3yr., 5yr.

Currency 0.09 1.96 1.34 4.55 0.45 1.89
    Multialternative -0.42 1.75 0.80 6.48 -1.65 0.35
    Long/Short Equity -0.61 1.60 0.34 4.24 -1.95 0.16
    Market Neutral -0.02 0.55 0.43 -0.06 -0.13 0.99
    Managed Futures -2.69 -0.98 -1.90 9.64 --- ---
    Bear Market 0.10 -8.52 -4.81 -26.03 -21.30 -15.01

• I don't agree with Ted regarding alternative strategies overall. However, I do agree with him that 9 alternative strategies within one fund is going to be very difficult in terms of finding a balance and it will be interesting to see what manner of flexibility will be available when trying to decide how to allocate between all of these different strategies.
  • I'm beginning to wonder if we are getting hoodwinked. AQR allegedly has a reputation, but have they done anything spectacular in the last 3 years, exactly the kind of period you would expect them to thrive?

I need only one NARFX. Don't need another pretender to the throne of all weather flexible market neutral long short managed futures alternative something something fund.