Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

How to convert a moderate into a conservative allocation portfolio, without trading

A cold Michigan evening to you all,

'Course, this answer is let the market do it, eh? Let the equity sell away into dust.

Three weeks ago our portfolio was at 78% equity and 22% bonds.

Two sells took place then; being FRIFX and IXUS , and the portfolio became:

--- 68% equity
--- 22% bonds
--- 10% cash

The equity remains (50%) of total in two of the hottie sectors from last year; being health and tech. OUCH today, eh? Health care fared fairly well until the afternoon when nothing held up properly.

Have not performed the money math today and will not; but an easy and quick overview knows that an average of 4% came off the equity today and +.35 was added by the bonds. The cash is earning about 1%/annum, but obviously isn't going backwards too fast.:)

I did review a few broad based and select funds relative strength numbers and ones I watch have moved from the upper 80's and low 90's as of last Thursday, down into the mid-50's as of tonight. A moderate position, in the range of 30-70. Many of the real estate funds, which have been slacking for about 6 months have RSI's just above 30, which is near what technicians consider to be near undersold.

As @MikeM noted, our portfolio is back to the end of 2017 values. So, we'll just start over and see how things go.

Looking at other areas, based on the equity sell off; $US is only a little bit stronger, as with gold, Treasuries. Money must be parked elsewhere, yes?

Worse part of this for me/us going forward is the when/what/where for cash.

Now, if Trump can get the Plunge Protection team lined up properly to put the magic back into our markets, eh?
I've heard him state enough times that the positive markets are because of his efforts. Lets get on the stick with this!

K. I've jabbed enough for tonight with some meaningless dribble about the markets.
Catch