Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

I think we knew it was just a matter of time....

So, what did you do today with regard to the markets? Buy, sell, or stand by and watch the Superbowl hype?

Comments

• Sitting on 20% cash. I'm not doing anything yet. Just waiting.
  • Wait, wait and wait some more. There's no point in managing the day-to-day. Investing is all about the long-term.
  • BrianW said:

Sitting on 20% cash. I'm not doing anything yet. Just waiting.

Hi Brian - 20% cash? How about the other 80%?

• I looked once and decided it was better to focus on more important things in life. Compared to the last 12+ months these were big losses but compared to what's historically normal this has just been a few bad days.
  • I looked once and decided it was better to focus on more important things in life. Compared to the last 12+ months these were big losses but compared to what's historically normal this has just been a few bad days.

• I made popcorn & semi-detachedly watched .... while preparing a syllabus for next week.

IMHO some perspective: while a 'correction' is certainly long overdue in an overheating market, let's not forget that today the US markets have fallen hard to ... where they were just a week or two ago.
  • @willmatt72: The other 80% is invested in equity mutual funds.
  • edited February 2018
    Still 80-20 in tsp and private portfolios
  • Howdy,

I was taking profits several times today. feh. We've had two 'true selling days' and that's enough for me to raise cash. I took 2 units off the table.

and so it goes,

peace,

rono
  • edited February 2018
    I took notice toward the end of the day. I have no tv anymore. (Comcast does it with dead porcupines.) And I moved on. No changes. Yesterday, I threw some money in the mail at SFGIX.
  • edited February 2018
    I was listening to Willie Nelson while driving the old pickup. No Bloomberg - but every time I asked Siri how the markets were doing, the Dow was off another hundred.

Here’s a list of Willie’s songs. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Willie_Nelson_songs
    I kinda like “Pretty Paper” Sums up my view of real market value for at least a year now.

• The intra-day SP-500 low at the end of the market melt (2008-2009) on March 6, 2009 was 666.79.
    The SP-500 lose on Friday, Feb. 2 was 665.75.
    So, if I wanted to adjust/cheat to the slightest numbers fudge; searching for a "SIGN" one could just call the numbers good and round to "666".

Perhaps (1) I'll visit an online numerology site to discover some determinations.

Perhaps (2) I'll watch the movie, "The Omen" again and then dial up, "Sympathy for the Devil"/Rolling Stones on YouTube.

Have a pleasant remainder of your Saturday, Feb. 3.