Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Fidelity daily returns funds list, a market(s) proxy consideration

A cold Friday morning howdy from Michigan,

A blip regarding a Fidelity daily returns page (link at the end). One does not need to have an account with Fido to view/use this page.

---Click on the "NAV change %" to "sort" the fund return list for the most current market close pricing. Clicking the "NAV change %" the first time will "sort" to most negative return being the top of the list, a second click will "sort" to the most positive return for the particular category. Three boxes to the right, one will find the "investment category" for a particular fund type; large growth, etc.
My quick and dirty view: When opening this page: I "sort" the domestic equity list with the first click showing the worse daily funds returns, then a second click to "sort" for the most positive. I don't pay as much attention to a given fund; but in which category the fund relates. I look at the 10 best and worse returns to get a feel for which categories appear to be "getting the most action."
---Example from 2017: The predominant top 10 fund category was "large growth". The worse returns were mostly reflected in small/mid cap, both growth and value.
For the past 2 weeks (last 2 weeks of January), the small/mid cap growth continues to attempt to be the best performers. Yesterday Feb. 1, indicates small/mid cap performing best, while the worse performing being the leaders from 2017, large growth.
---So, does this show a rotation away from the 2017 high fliers of large growth and into the laggards of 2017, being the small/mid cap areas? I can not offer a solid opinion of this at this time; but I am watching. Perhaps the "index" funds listing further down the page would offer a less biased overview, as this area "is not active managed".
Obviously, Fidelity funds of any category have their own internal functions; so that any Fidelity fund listed as large cap growth will not be a pure proxy reflection of this market category. An example is FDGRX (closed to new money, except 401k/403b types, etc.) is large growth, among numerous other Fidelity funds listed as large growth. But, its long term performance shines above other Fidelity large growth funds.
Well, anyway; you may find some trinket of information with this that helps you through your investment travels.

Lastly, "NO"; I don't use this daily list to adjust our portfolio once a month or other. But, for me; the list does allow an overview of possible trends. As mentioned previously, the overwhelming top 10 funds in the domestic category list for 2017 was "large growth" over and over and over again. I am watching for any clues of a transition into another direction.
One can see from the list (at least for Feb. 1) that not all domestic equity was selling off; as small cap had a positive direction. 'Course, even if equity moves down "more"; one will still be able discover the "best of the worse", yes?
The recent equity sell down monies are traveling somewhere, yes? If it is to investment grade bonds, I sure don't see pricing to support this notion. Perhaps some is moving into other equity areas that have not performed well in the past few years. Heck, maybe the monies are just being parked in real cash accounts.
NOTE: Hopefully, this is fairly clear; as I have some brain freeze at the moment, and not from too much, too fast good ice cream; but having been outside. Damn, tis very nasty cold with the wind.

http://fundresearch.fidelity.com/mutual-funds/fidelity-funds-daily-pricing-yields?refpr=MFRes_016

Take care,
Catch