Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

You’re So Vain — I Bet You Think Investing’s About You

FYI: If you’ve listened to the radio anytime after 1972, you’ve surely heard Carly Simon’s megahit “You’re So Vain.”

The song dresses down a former lover for his egocentricity, always checking himself in the mirror and soaking up the admiration of naive young women.

Simon reportedly wrote the song about three men, naming only one, Warren Beatty. The chorus is what hooks the listener, an earworm still recognized by tens of millions of baby boomers:

“You’re so vain/You probably think this song is about you/You’re so vain, you’re so vain/I’ll bet you think this song is about you/Don’t you?/Don’t you?”

Fun fact: Listen carefully and you’ll hear an uncredited Mick Jagger singing backup on the chorus. Once you hear it, you will never unhear it.

Like many of my fellow boomers, I love music and music history. The song got me thinking about investing, namely, the trap many of us fall into when trying to pick investments.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/youre-so-vain-i-bet-you-think-investings-about-you-2018-01-18/print