Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Bonds at Multi Week Highs 5/5///hank

edited May 2011 in Off-Topic
If ya look at the 10 year treasury, rates are bouncing off 3.18%-this not too many weeks after flirting with 3.60%. As we all know, when rates drop, bond prices rise. Big move in a short time. Especially when most everybody including bond king BG were calling for rough sledding in bonds. Catch 22 was more sanguine, saying repeatedly the fed would hold them rates low. I didnt really believe that. (Guess Catch took some time off to bask in warm Michigan springtime.) Bad job numbers today causing the spike in bonds and selling in commodities. Most notably maybe oil, down about 10 bucks today. My commodities fund will suffer but filling up at the pump was gettin downright painful. Linked a related AP article on the bad jobs report. Some gallows humor from one of the talking heads at cnbc: "Commodities rise climbing a stairway, but come down on an elevator."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Stocks-waver-after-apf-510495393.html?x=0&sec=topStories&pos=1&asset=&ccode=

Comments

• Ya, my PRLAX (mostly invested in Brasil and Mexico) is taking a hit, too. Oil...
  • It's a matter of being nimble, as I think you will see continued higher volatility in a number of asset classes, including bonds, stocks and commodities. I still wouldn't own US T-bonds (especially over the long-term), but congrats to those who can successfully trade around their movements.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.