Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Folks are funny, eh? Some must have just too much money.....

edited August 2012 in Off-Topic
I am in the process of buying a newer vehicle to replace a worn out mini-van.
'Course, the internet is a wonderful tool for this search.
Friday, while in the area of a very large dealership; I did a drive-through to look at the inventory.
I spotted a vehicle similar to what I have been looking for and walked to the vehicle for closer look. It was the same vehicle they have had for one month, but had been moved to a different location. Meanwhile, "Don, the salesperson, 50-ish" cruised up in a golf car. "Hi and Hi." "Are you interested in this one", he asked. I stated that I did not find one option I wanted listed on the window sticker. "No, that is not on this one", he stated. I asked, "what is the price on this vehicle?" He glanced towards the windshield and read back to me, $23,995. He then noted that the price was part of some strange number/alpha code on the windshield along with the year of the vehicle. This dealership still plays the old game of hide the price, so that you must contact a salesperson. The first thing I have not liked about this place. I told him that I have been looking around for a few months and that the price was a bit high, as an identical vehicle (same options, mileage and condition) was currently available just 25 miles away at the price of $19,700. I let him read the printout of this other vehicle. He next stated, "Do you want to take it for a drive?". I replied, "Is this price fixed?". "No he stated", but did not even begin to provide any type of offer for a better price. I walked away, after a final glance at the vehicle and his face. He drove away in the golfcart, likely headed into his AC climatic controlled nest to count his money.

I suppose Don is already in too high of a tax bracket from his commissions YTD, and wants to keep things that way. Perhaps Don is just not plugged into his true job calling. I wish him well.

Within a one hour drive of our house allows me to have access to lots of vehicles; so, I will find what I want.

With exception of our two current vehicles; we have purchased vehicles in the greater Detroit metro area and have reduced our costs an average of 17% over the years. We don't mind driving a few hours roundtrip to save $5,000.

Regards,
Catch

Comments

• edited August 2012
    Friends and family have had success at Carmax and you can search cars available at locations on their website.
  • Hi scott,
    Thank you. I use that site, too. Also use Kelly Bluebook. Very nice tools to set years, make, model and distance from any given zipcode.
    Take care,
    Catch
  • Hi catch. You may already have a way of determing fair value for a used car but the site I always go to is Edmunds.com. You just add the car you are interested in- add any options- mileage- ect... and it will spit out a "fair value" price depending if you are dealing with a dealer or a private seller. It will also give fair value for your trade in if you have one.

I've used edmunds. many times over the last 15 years. I bring the print out with me as I deal.