Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Jason Zweig: The Tyranny Of Style

FYI: Here, from my archives, is a piece I wrote about how portfolio managers were being shackled by “the style police,” investment consultants and financial planners who demanded that they invest with rigid adherence to predetermined allocations. Of course, you could buy that sort of mechanical obedience with an index fund at a fraction of the price, so “style purity” made no sense to me. Why pay a human not to use his or her judgment when you could have a machine invest mindlessly for next to nothing? If you want to use an active manager, you must encourage him or her to be more active, not less. That doesn’t mean trading more often; it means thinking more independently.
Regards,
Ted
http://jasonzweig.com/the-tyranny-of-style/