Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Capital Formation Over the Past 12 years ... 1.6% annualized!

edited August 2012 in Fund Discussions
In several previous post I refernced capital formation was seeming hard to come by. I have linked below a chart I recently came across on the Crossing Wall Street site that shows that the S&P 500 Index over the past twelve years has only a 1.6% annualized return with dividends reinvested. Seems CDs, a no risk investment, would have been a better option.

In addition, if one were to consider inflation at 2% per annum, then the index becomes a net loser to inflation.

No wonder, money seems to be leaving the market. You just can not park it there ... forget about it ... and, come back another day. Seems some sort of investment strategy that centers around an entry and exit point(s) would have made a net loser a net winner. Perhaps there is something to exiting when the price line moves below the 200 MAD line and then returning when the price line moves above the 200 MAD line. Something to think on.

http://www.crossingwallstreet.com/archives/2012/08/sp-500-total-return-index-6.html

Good Investing,
Skeeter

Comments

• S & P. Which is why I'm glad I'm heavily tilted elsewhere...Russell 2000, overseas, EM bonds. Soon will add domestic bonds. I own dom. bonds so far only within balanced fund MAPOX.