Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Bretton Fund BRTNX Upward

edited August 2012 in Fund Discussions
Yesterday, BRTNX was up 0.62% despite downer day on Wall Street, propelled by its second largest holding, Gap, Inc, up 12.75%. Today, the fund is up another 1.76%. YTD, it's up 17.02%. Like Bruce Berkowitz's Fairholme Allocation Fund FAAFX, Stephen Dodson's Bretton Fund has the courage of its convictions with only 16 stock holdings. Its two top holdings, Ross Stores and Gap, are each up 80% this past year. MFO first reviewed Bretton in February. The other intriguing high concentration fund of late is Cook & Bynum Fund COBYX, reviewed by MFO this week.

Since Bretton's inception late 2010, it's actually bested them both, along with SP500:

In fact, Bretton has done better than several other notables, including FPA_Crescent FPACX, Oakmark Equity & Income OAKBX, Dodge & Cox Balanced DODBX, Parnassus Equity Income PRBLX, and even Sequoia SEQUX:

Can you believe?

Comments

• I too am very interested in this fund. Hopefully it becomes available in more fund marketplaces soon. I contacted the fund and they told me to keep annoying my online broker about offering......needless to say Fidelity really didn't blink an eye when I asked them.
  • edited August 2012
    Interesting. He's apparently Stephen, son (I think) of Jerome D., founder of Parnassus, where Stephen worked till he decided to hang up his own shingle.

Lots of financials in the port, but not so many of the usual suspects ...

Has anyone run across an interview with Stephen? Googling didn't result in any hits for me.