Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Computer/Windows problem. Help?

Between last night and today, I've used the System Restore function 4 or 5 times on Windows 10, just to get my visuals on the monitor to a proper, useful readable setting. I've noticed, for the first time last night, the screen goes momentarily black at random, and there is an audible two-tone sound (just a quick "toot-toot")when it happens, then the picture reappears, but the display is too big and distorted. And I have to use scroll bars up and down and side to side in order to see what I should be able to see displayed with no work and all. In the course of trying to get the damn thing to just do what it used to do without any problem, I've lost bookmarks and my rather new and muscular privacy protection tools loaded originally with the new and fancy and fabulous, wonderful Firefox browser, and I'm getting ads that I had kissed goodbye a long time ago. What is going on here? Anyone see what the problem is from this description? I did, of course, try to remedy the problem by adjusting the display settings from the drop-down menu in there, but NONE of those suggested settings changed anything, at least not for the better. And so, I resorted to System Restore. But clearly, that is not the remedy. When I do the System Restore, the visuals on the monitor appear correctly and appropriately--- until some gremlin in the damn computer turns the screen black, only to return the picture to me again all screwed up and distorted. I can use the internet, but I cannot even see the full text of what I'm typing here: I would need to use the back-and-forth scroll bars--- if it was worth the effort for me to do so. Happy Thanksgiving. I wonder if a battery is dying or whether this is another of the myriad bugs associated with Microsoft and its sensational, lovely, beautiful Windows operating system? Thanks for replies.

Comments

• Try removing power cord & battery for 60 seconds.Reinstall both If that doesn't help I'll have to pass.
    Good luck,
    Derf
  • Unplug, you mean. Got that. But where on earth is the battery? Guess I'll have to bring it to the local fix-it shop...Thanks, Derf.
  • W10 latest big update 1709 can cause some serious problems that MS Win support is glad to help fix and will do the whole thing for you quickly and remotely. But this sounds either not that or bigger than that, plus SysRestore has not helped, so more like video card slow death in addition a possibility. This is a tower? Did you try and get in touch w Dell or HP or Acer or whoever it is? I would suggest it is more than one problem, and the second and third coincidental, perhaps unrelated. Do not run on battery. I doubt it is a W10 bug, or if it is 1709-related, something in addition, as I say, since Restore walked back the 1709 major update. HD slow death is another thought, though again I am skeptical. Regardless, be sure all of your important work is backed up exteriorly.

I am not a support tech, but have some troubleshooting experience, and if you want to talk by phone, lemme know. If it is a tower w plugin monitor, reseat that connection firmly, meaning unplug the D connector and then reconnect. (I lost signal totally recently just due to a power outage, but reconnecting did the trick, and video card okay.) I just had some 1709 problems too.

Your browser problems are probably due to the Restore (ads reappearing etc.). Finally, the two beeps will mean something to the manufacturer, or get another machine and google, and you should, for a while, disable all of your protection tools. as they too can cause problems and for sure do not always play well together.
  • ...And thanks, David Moran. Yes, it is an old "tower" CPU. Funny you should mention the latest Microsoft "update" 1709--- which installed, as usual, automatically, because that's where I had it set--- to do just that. But afterwards, the problems started. I could editorialize here about the quality of Microsoft's splendid "updates," but that's surely unnecessary. Everyone already knows. But also, it seems to me that the latest Firefox update is part of this picture. I like that browser, but it FEELS like their own upgrade included some stuff that Microsoft's Windows does not like. Seems to me THAT is true here in this overall picture, too. Anyhow, the next computer I get will NOT run Windows. That's for sure.
  • I can believe that the new FF has issues, though I am running it fine (I use chrome more), and 1709 actually was the first update that was unrefusable. I think. How much ram do you have? I would get more or, better, get a new tower, which is what I did recently. W SSD too --- all cheap. You could not pay me to switch from MS, for what I do.

Anyway, try reseating the video connection, trying to chrome for a while, maybe uninstall FF for a while, do a thorough HD check w autofix invoked, and run some manuf utilities and also see if you can get some support, which might cost --- there is log of everything bad that has happened, so someone can dx it all.