Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

RiverPark Short Term High Yield: an opportunity for MFO members to speak directly with the manager

Dear friends,

As I prepared for the August issue of the Observer and a planned September profile update for RPHYX, I asked David Sherman, RiverPark's manager, to read the recent discussions here about his fund. He agreed and thought that quality of analysis was generally high and occasionally excellent.

Following from that conversation, he offered to participate in a conference call with interested MFO members in the reasonably near future. The call would likely to taped and posted.

If you'd like to hear from, and ask questions of, Mr. Sherman (and likely Mr. Schaja, RiverPark's president), please do let me know. If a reasonable number of folks would like to pursue the opportunity, I'll begin working with RiverPark to set up a good time.

As ever,

David

Comments

• I am definitely interested. Hope we get the opportunity.
  • ........count me in........thanks for all your effort!
  • Yes please.
  • RiverPark Short Term has done very well against other highly regarded short term duration funds since its inception in late 2010, as shown below. It was first reviewed by MFO in July 2011.

• I've had a substantial investment in RPHYX for the past year and have not been disappointed. The low volatility and small incremental changes have made this feel like a CD or what one would hope for from a money market. I've considered going all in with cash portion of portfolio but hesitate to do so. Would be interested to learn more from managers about potential risks.
  • Can you move $ in and out of it at will, or are there restrictions on round trips, etc.? (Apparently there's no short term redemption fee ...)
  • Hello,

Linked below is the prospectus for the subject fund. Its reading is simple and straight forward. From its reading, they cover how you can purchase and redeem shares. I could not find where they address short term trading. So perhaps, there are no restrictions on trading in and out of the fund.

http://www.riverparkfunds.com/Prospectus/ShortTermHighYieldFund.aspx

I assuming, the fund operates under the Investment Act of 1940, and with this, you can sell shares of a mutual fund anytime you want to. However, it seems, restrictions and fees can apply if they are stated. You might wish to contact the fund company directly and find out form them the answer to your above question as it centers more on a back office type question.

Skeeter

• edited August 2012
    Reply to @Skeeter: Actually, I'm just mildly curious if an investor can really run it in a portfolio as a "cash sub" as it seems some are doing, a strategy that wouldn't really work if there are restrictions such as round trip limitations or redemption fees of any sort, which, as you know, are common features of many mutual funds. I don't have any intention of investing in the fund, but thought that one of the investors in it might want to chip in on that score.

Thanks for the link to the summary prospectus; the details on buying, selling, and exchanging shares are in the statutory prospectus, which contains the usual boilerplate about discouraging short term trading, but the only specific limitation I could find is a maximum of 5 exchanges between RP funds (not round trips via buys and sells) per year.
  • edited August 2012
    I don't think there is a problem moving money in and out of the fund. I note that the fund keeps quite a bit of cash on hand (17.10% according to Morningstar), which minimizes the impact of redemptions.

Do keep in mind that if you buy your fund NTF through a brokerage, they may impose a short-term trading fee. My brokerage charges a penalty if I buy and sell NTF funds within 6 months. So I only add money to RPHYX if I am certain that I won't need it for another 6 months.

I think the large cash position is a necessary part of this fund's strategy, but it is something that I would like to ask about if we have the opportunity.
  • Just in case if you are using Fidelity: Their definition of short-term trade changed from 6 months to 60 days:

"Fidelity will charge a short term trading fee each time you sell or exchange shares of FundsNetwork No Transaction Fee (NTF) funds held less than 60 days (short-term trade)."
  • edited August 2012
    Reply to @claimui: The prospectus language parallels what you're saying about it, claimui. As far as brokerage restrictions, if it's available thru Fidelity, they've cut the NTF holding period to 60 days, which would be a setup maybe a little more amenable to using the fund as a cash substitute.

Edit: Didn't see Andrei's post till after saving mine ...

• At Schwab, there is a round-trip limit as well as a fee:
    3 round trip transactions (purchase and sale of $0 or more within a 60 day period) will result in a purchase restriction in this fund family for 90 days.
    At Fidelity, there's a similar round trip restriction:
    A roundtrip is a mutual fund purchase or exchange purchase followed by a sell or exchange sell within 30 calendar days in the same fund and account. ...Shareholders that place a second roundtrip transaction in the same fund within a 90-day period will be blocked from making additional purchases and exchange purchases into that fund for 85 days. This block will be applied to other accounts under the same registration.

All accounts affected by the fund level block will be monitored for an additional 12 months following the expiration of the block. If another roundtrip occurs in that fund in any of those accounts during this time, another fund level block will be applied for 85 days.
  • i would like the manager to address the capacity of the strategy if possible.
  • Reply to @fundalarm: The manager previously estimated the capacity to be about $1 billion, both in the MFO profile (from July 2011) and the commentary on the RiverPark website: http://www.riverparkfunds.com/downloads/News/RiverPark_Short-Term-High-Yield-Fund-Investor-Update.pdf (PDF link)
  • Reply to @claimui: Yep, though the question is still worth pursuing. There are two variables that affect it: (1) market conditions which dictate the behavior of the bond issuers and (2) related strategies which he could pursue but hasn't yet - mostly because there's been no reason to. David
  • Reply to @David_Snowball: It would be interesting to hear their thoughts on how a growing asset base will affect the fund. Will the fund have to go further down the list of best ideas or will it get more favorable terms because it can buy in bigger quantities?
  • edited August 2012
    I simply do not see the allure of this fund. If we get a decline in the junk bond market this fund will lose value as it did last October and so much for it being a substitute for cash. While the October junk decline didn't go anywhere what happens if junk goes into an extended bear market. And besides, what ever happened to the maxim that cash was trash. We have had a bond market for the ages the past many years in so many areas from junk, emerging markets, to hi yield munis and more so where exactly does cash fit into the picture? About as much as it fit into the picture during the great bull in equities during the 80s and 90s.
  • Reply to @Hiyield007:
    In a sense, many bonds in this fund are third cousins to (muni) pre-refunded bonds. If you read the linked description, you'll find many of the same attributes as claimed for the RiverPark fund, for similar though not identical reasons. Short duration, price stability, reduced credit risk, etc.

I think you mean the junk bond decline at the end of September (JNK declined from a price of 38+ in September to 36.19 at the end of the month, and maybe another percent or so into early October). Last Sept/Oct, RPHYX declined from 9.93-9.94 down to 9.86 in early October, before recovering through October. A whopping swing of 0.8% on a fund that yields 3-4%. I can live with that.

A question I have is with the use of cushion bonds (see current fund commentary). I like cushion bonds, I own them, I seek them out. But not for junk. They're good because they let you buy long term bonds (with commensurate higher yields) with the expectation that they'll get called early (since the coupons are high) - higher yields on shorter term bonds. A risk is that when the time comes for the bonds to get called, the issuer may not be able to refinance (bad credit risk) and thus the bonds really do become long term bonds. In a rising rate environment, the higher coupon protection only goes so far. IMHO it's more the likelihood of call that makes these attractive than the long term yield. And issuers of junk bonds strike me as less likely to be able to call bonds, even if it makes numeric sense for them to do so.

• Hi, big guy!

"this fund will lose value as it did last October." I think the manager would argue that the decline is a transitory fiction. The bonds in his portfolio are marked to market each day; that is, he has to assign the price he'd get if he tried to sell them on the secondary market that day. If I understand him correctly, he almost never sells a holding on the secondary market. The strategy is buy called (or likely to be called) bonds, hold them for 30 days (in the case of called bonds), collect one interest payment and have the issuer who called them redeem them at face. So he may have a 10-year, high-yield called bond from (say) Ford Motor. He could sell it on the panicked secondary market at (say) 50% of face or hold it until the end of the month, knowing the Ford is going to pay 100%. In either case, though, he has to calculate the fund's daily NAV on the assumption that he was going to sell.

My (iffy) recollection from our conversations is that typically 70% of the portfolio would go to cash within 90 days. While that doesn't eliminate losses if the market locks up as it did for a while in '08 (was it two-thirds of money markets that had threatened to "break the buck" unless their sponsors underwrote them?), I suspect it limits the downside for folks with a time frame longer than three months.

When he says "this fund is not an ATM machine," I think he's probably agreeing that it's not a pure substitute for cash. That said, bonds are really not my specialty and so folks with curiosity and a clue might be in a better position to ask and follow up questions than am I.

For what it's worth,

David
  • Reply to @David_Snowball:
    According to the fund commentary, it's 50% that will be redeemed within 90 days (based on maturity date or call date if already called). Perhaps the manager is suggesting that another 20% are yet to be called and redeemed within 90 days, or perhaps your memory is indeed iffy. Either way, the only figure I've seen is 50%.

This fund fits into the "enhanced cash" category. The general advice is not to use these funds for cash you'd need in under 1-2 years. That's just another way of saying such funds are not ATM machines.
  • edited August 2012
    Reply to @msf: Correct, late September and right at the beginning of October. I've looked a little closer and just maybe this fund does makes sense and could be an integral part of my portfolio when I retire (if ever) from active trading and if rates remain low. (Yes, you can still trade the open end high yield funds as many of them are lax in enforcing their timing/trading policies) Still, will be interested to see how this fund performs over a longer time period and if/when the interest rate cycle changes. You and David among others are a lot more cerebral than me when it comes to the intricacies of this fund. I am just a price movement kind of guy and the past several years have been one of those proverbial opportunities of a lifetime for me in bondland much akin to how it was in the 80s/90s in equity mutual funds.
  • Regarding RPHYX vs. junk, take a look at this chart. In particular the period from May to June this year where the S&P and Vanguard's high yield fund (just to take an example) both had declines, but RPHYX stayed stable. Of course this might not be comparable to Sept/Oct 2011, but I think it's a noteworthy data point.

• Reply to @msf: Hi, msf!

Then chalk it to up an iffy memory and the aftermath of vacation.

David
  • RPHYX,SJNK,SPHIX

SJNK is a newbie from March 14, 2012, and not unlike comparing RPHYX to SPHIX, is not a totally valid consideration; but is something else to view. I chose the traditional active managed SPHIX, as this fund has a very good record over many years (we do own SPHIX).

Okay, back to stimulating the northwest MI economy from the tourist side of life.
    Regards,
    Catch
  • Reply to @David_Snowball: the fact is, David, that it is after all an open end mutual fund which provides daily liquidity to investors. This means should there be panic, nothing replaces cash. Once people start losing their shirts in equities and traditional high yield again, they'll need cash from somewhere. they'll redeem from this fund, even if it's holding better than others. i've seen this picture before. Then, the buy and never sell manager, will have to sell in a panicked market. We also have similar strategies in our shop, but these are usually limited to separate accounts of institutional commingled funds with truly patient moneys. Having said this, i personally am investing as i fully appreciate the strategy and the risks, and don't claim this to be a cash substitute.
  • edited August 2012
    Same here. As rono would say- yet another leg on my stool.
  • If it fits my schedule, I'd be in for sure.

How long will the fund be able to operate as the sole fund with this strategy? What will happen to the capacity when "me too" funds crash the party?
  • Reply to @00BY: Yes, that's a great question and one that's been niggling at me also.
  • edited August 2012
    Reply to @00BY: I can't remember where, but I recall that the managers mentioned the limited capacity ($1 billion) in this space would deter larger fund managers. For example, I imagine PIMCO might not have much use for this strategy because there are not enough investments to allocate to even one of their larger institutional accounts.

I suppose smaller funds might see an opportunity, but maybe this is where the first mover has an advantage. Based on the MFO profile, these kinds of investment opportunities don't come up every day and they aren't readily accessible. If RPHYX is the biggest buyer on the market for now, then they would definitely have an advantage in terms of information and access.

I do think that RPHYX's expense ratio is kind of high -- that is one area where we could certainly benefit from some competition!

I remember hearing that BlackRock (?) was planning to build a bond trading platform that would allow more efficient trading of corporate bonds. I think this kind of platform might be more dangerous to RPHYX in the long run, or at least the RPHYX manager would have more competition for investment opportunities.