Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Ted, why do you again belittle MFO and yourself, with your attacks towards me?

edited July 2012 in Fund Discussions

MFO April 26, 2012

Ted's comment regarding the Funds Boat post of July 28

Ted, my reply to you; which you may not discover, July 31, 2012:

Howdy Ted,

As long as this house's desire and time allow for a weekly report, it will be posted.

As you are more prescient with your knowledge and skills in the investment marketplace, versus this house; we will congratulate your house at this time with what is likely a substantially better YTD return than our house has been able to generate, with the consideration for risk and reward; as well as regard for net household income needs today and into the future.

As MFO is a fund investing learning and knowledge site; I may presume that at least one person in a calendar year may benefit from our reports; and this is the value of the report. The learning and knowledge sharing will continue here at MFO, with or without, you or me. Neither of us are in a position to become pretentious regarding our contributions. We're just two very tiny pieces of a much larger picture.

As to your comment; "no text, this is how it should be every week", I fail to find any value from such a statement of benefit to anyone; and am saddened that you do not consider your own personal time of more value, and better suited to something else that is productive. I have added your name to my "Colorful Characters" file.

Your demeanor, again places you, outside of the standards set by this forum.

However, we do enjoy our weekly report, more so; versus your weekly report.

Again, congratulations upon your investment efforts, and resulting reward.

Graciously,
Catch

Comments

• Yes, a learning experience indeed! : )

• edited August 2012
    Banner: "Fools rush in where Angels fear to tread" - Yikes - most folks don't visit the board to see couple accomplished contributors going at it. However, as Pop-Tart says: a learning experience ... Now, Catch's weekly boat report has been a mainstay dating back to Fund Alarm. Enjoyed and benefitted from it for many years. But, hey ... if I don't understand his investing philosophy by now and types of funds he uses, than there's something seriously wrong here. So don't read it. However, may still be of great value for many - especially those who are new or infrequent visitors. ... And, Ted is Ted. What can ya say? Best linkster we've ever known & little fluff - most always relevant stuff. I'll confess to finding his remark a little bemusing myself - and not particularly offensive. If you want the spot-light on ya, you're gonna take some occasional flack.

And, I recoil at starting a debate about whose return is bigger ... don't like it. There's no way for David or anyone else to verify accuracy of claims of who owns what, how long they owned it, what day they sold it, or what % load - if any - they paid in the beginning. Not sure folks would compromise this secure information even if David or someone else agreed to verify it. I'll say from past reports, it appears some of Catch's funds had loads waived due to his employment or other relationships - perks not available to everyone. Large investors are commonly given reduced loads at many traditional load houses. So, there's always the issue of level playing field when comparing returns. And, I'd question the relevance of returns for shorter time spans. Ya can find outstanding funds with lousy 2 or 3 year returns that, nonetheless, shoot the lights out over much longer periods. From my reading of both, Ted sounds more like a growth investor with a very long-term focus; while Catch's approach sounds more like an Income investor with emphasis on consistent monthly earnings. So, what's with this "comparison" thing? No two approaches could be much farther apart.

I admire Catch's tenacious reporting of every move within his vast (by one count 25+) array of funds. I'm sure part of the benefit accrues to him in better understanding his process. But, yikes!! ... Someday the fund boat's long run will end ... as did even Fund Alarm and Rono's superb "Asia and the Metals." But, that's Catch's call and I'd be damned if I'd let others dictate that. As for linking up with MFO while on vacation, we do it all the time. Actually have better bandwidth connections when traveling - and can only sit at the beach or the bar for so long. Cheers!

• Reply to @hank: I wasn't going to interject in this disagreement, but I'll reply to you Hank. You said it very well with these two lines:

"... And, Ted is Ted. What can ya say?"
    "If you want the spot-light on ya, you're gonna take some occasional flack"

Good call. Life goes on...
  • Well stated Hank !
    Derf