Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

• MJG October 2017
  • Ted October 2017
Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Mark Hulbert: Smart Money Will Buy Large-Cap Stocks Now And Small-Caps In January

TedTed
edited October 2017 in Fund Discussions
FYI: Bigger is better for fund managers through year-end.

Wall Street’s testosterone problem notwithstanding, with stocks, smaller is usually better. But the next couple of months should be an exception.

I’m referring to the relative performance of large- and small-cap stocks. Over the long term, small-cap stocks significantly outperform the large caps — on average. According to the famous Ibbotson database, maintained by investment researcher Morningstar, small-caps’ margin of victory over large-caps since 1926 is 2.2 annualized percentage points.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/buy-large-cap-stocks-now-and-small-caps-in-january-2017-10-31/print

Comments

• MJG
    edited October 2017
    Hi Guys,

Here is the Link to the article that Ted rarely fails to provide:

http://www.sec.marketwatch.com/story/buy-large-cap-stocks-now-and-small-caps-in-january-2017-10-31

Mark Hulbert is an excellent market analyst and writer. This article doesn't fail to match his high standards. The reasoning might not be precisely on target, but it is a plausible explanation for the data that clearly demonstrates that the exceptional performance advantage for small cap stocks is concentrated in the month of January.

Best Wishes for exceptional investment success.
  • @MJG: Thanks, I can use all the help I can get. I relinked the article in printer-friendly format which is a little easier to read.
    Regards,
    Ted:)