Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

• MJG October 2017
Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Mark Hulbert: The Virtues Of Long-Term Investing — And How To Live Them

FYI:t’s appropriate that the very month in which MarketWatch commemorates its 20th birthday is the same one in which University of Chicago professor Richard Thaler won the Nobel Prize in economics.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-virtues-of-long-term-investing-and-how-to-live-them-2017-10-30/print

Comments

• Hi Guys,

With unlimited access to market data and its interpretations we are all smarter investors these days then several decades ago. That universal availability of information makes it more difficult to get and maintain an edge in terms of market rewards. The strong competition just operates to neutralize any perceived expert advantage. The performance data for active fund management demonstrates that leveling effect.

One approach is just to assemble an Index portfolio. But that's equivalent to surrendering. Another attractive alternative is to assemble two portfolios: one that is Index based and a second portfolio that reflects your current judgement of market conditions and probabilities. The first portfolio is held for the long term while the second portfolio is subject to trade. Each investor decides the percentages in each portfolio.

I practice this second approach. My long term Index portfolio is outperforming my trading portfolio. But I am learning. That second portfolio serves as an opportunity. And as Bonaparte said: " Ability is of little account without opportunity. ". A little luck would be helpful. I dream the dream.

Best Wishes