Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

• hank October 2017
  • msf October 2017
Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

(No Cigar) / Nothing Green Today

edited October 2017 in Off-Topic
Minor losses overall today. Nothing green. My global infrastructure fund, OQGAX, was hit hardest - off over 1%.

Didn’t make any changes. Still mulling maybe starting a toe-hold in a gold fund or GNMA (simply as alternative investments).

From my watchlist: PRGMX - unchanged. OPGSX - down 1.16%. HSGFX lost a penny to $6.40.

Guess the 10 year edged up to about 2.44%. That in turn must have helped the dollar strengthen against other currencies judging by the day’s action.

Comments

• With US rates rising, one would think that, yet foreign bond funds like PFUIX (PIMCO unhedged) and BEGBX went up.

Bloomberg: "The dollar ended a three-day winning streak amid wide swings in the Canadian dollar, pound and other currencies."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-10-25/dollar-retreats-after-rally-as-loonie-peso-pound-thrash-around
  • edited October 2017
    Thanks msf. Very interesting. I was going by the drops in the global infrastructure and gold funds I track. With the former, it might have been a delayed reaction to yesterday’s currency markets.

BTW - The Canadian currency amuses me, having recently spent some time there. From what I could see, they love their “loonie” and “toonie”.

From Wikipedia: The nickname loonie (huard in French) became so widely recognized that in 2006 the Royal Canadian Mint secured the rights to it.[1] When the Canadian two-dollar coin was introduced in 1996, it was in turn nicknamed the "toonie" (a portmanteau of "two" and "loonie").