Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

United Airlines Stock Plunges Today

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• @Maurice: Just a fraction of the stock market news contained in the above Closing Bell.
    Regards,
    Ted:)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited October 2017
    No doubt the Primecap team is licking their chops...they've always LOVED the airlines, particularly when a value presents itself. And it looks like all the airlines fell in sympathy. Watch for a bounce tomorrow.
  • edited October 2017
    The stock plunge seems odd, considering the outrageous fees I’ve recently paid United for their shout haul flights.

That aside, I’d have given anything to be aboard this Air Berlin flight when they buzzed the tower recently. The carrier was shutting down after being forced into bankruptcy. Guess this was the crew’s way of saying ”goodby” (or something to that effect).:)

Apparently some didn’t think it too funny.

http://www.businessinsider.com/air-berlin-flight-flies-close-control-tower-germany-suspended-pilots-faa-watchdog-travel-jet-airbus-2017-10

(May need to hit the mute button bottom right for sound.)
  • Primecap had a tough day with the airlines they already hold. The question, IMHO, is whether UAL is a value or not. Airlines have a very long history of not being able to manage the business cycle so when things aren't going well, especially during good times, I'd at least consider whether another blowup is in the offing. Luckily I have confidence in the Primecap guys to know what's an opportunity and what's not because I wouldn't want to be making those bets myself.
  • @LLJB: Primecap may have had a tough day, but since investing is a marathon rather than a sprint, Primecap has a 30-year average annual gain: 12.49%.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • @Ted: No question. I'm a very happy long-term holder of POAGX and they get a whole lot more right than most people so if they think United or the airlines are an opportunity I'm more than happy to take that chance with them. I just wouldn't be very likely to buy any of the stocks myself.