Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Risk in Apple Inc

edited October 2017 in Off-Topic
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• Mo, consider yourself considered but even an Apple addict such as myself will not be paying $1000 for ANY cellphone no matter who makes it. I barely make use of 25% of the features on my iPhone 6.
  • edited October 2017
    Interesting post. I never understood tech valuations so can’t comment on the share price.

Love Apple products. With these guys you’re buying into the full Apple ecosystem. Different devices integrate well. Phone support is good when you need it. Backup to their icloud works well. And they take user security seriously. They’re continually updating their software even after you buy a product. I’d gladly pay a bit more for a 3 year old used Apple device in good shape than buy some other off-the-shelf “brand new” device by a lesser company. In fact, I did that last spring in buying a beautiful 3 year old Macbook Pro.

I’m guessing the “8” isn’t selling well because it was already dated the day they introduced it. And am guessing the “X” will be flying off the shelves fast as they can make them. Cellular providers give folks discounts on that advertised price. And most products sold by Apple hold their resale value pretty well. Probably will be able to sell a good used 2-3 year old “X” for near $500 in a few years.

Personally, I prefer the Ipad Mini for traveling because of a larger screen. So my cellphone needs are pretty basic and I won’t be buying the “X”. But from observation, I’m the exception. Most travelers are OK with the iphone’s smaller screen. And the device sounds so cool I might pick up a good used one someday.

Added: I also think that to some extent dedicated digital freaks (like myself) become addicted to a certain provider like Apple. When you have years - or even decades - worth of music, contacts, calendars, and other important data stored on their devices, in their apps, and backed up in their cloud, you tend to think twice before changing horses. FWIW
  • edited October 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

• I'm a long-time Apple and now Mac user and career cybersecurity geek. Sadly I've seen a notable decrease in Apple's product QA in recent years -- it almost coincides when they changed their name from 'Apple Computer' to just 'Apple Inc' and became a consumer discresionary company (ie Sony) instead of remaining a computer/tech company. Marking up the phones, while having the gall to charg extra for a) forced-on-you dongles and b) power adapter extensions previously included with laptops is just arrogant greed. But hey -- they're thinner! And have poop emojis!! *bangs head*

I just saw the specs on the forthcoming MSFT Surface Book 2 this morning and was *floored* ... compared to the current Mac laptop line, it looks to be a great competitor. If it didn't run Windows, I'd strongly consider it as my next laptop when my trusty MBAir finally dies -- though tbh I'm kinda interested in it anyway since the latest Mac laptops are either not-enough (MBAir) or too-gimmicky (Touchbars) with poor architectures, thermaldynamics, and port compatabilities.

Sorry for the rant.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.