Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

• hank October 2017
  • msf October 2017
Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

New Target-Date Funds Are Geared For Withdrawal Time

FYI: The latest target-date funds focus on the task of managing a nest egg once retirement has started, including RMDs. Will they catch on?
Regards,
Ted
https://www.wsj.com/articles/new-target-date-funds-are-geared-for-withdrawal-time-1507515120?tesla=y

Comments

• edited October 2017
    Great find @Ted.

I’m always interested in what T Rowe Price is doing. Interesting that they had a Retirement Income Fund for many years, but decided about 5 years ago to rename it Retirement Balanced.

Now a new Retirement Income fund? Modeling its performance expectations on their current 2020 Target date fund would make it somewhat more aggressive than their previous Retirement income fund (TRRIX). In hindsight, rebranding the old fund must have been Price’s way of “clearing the deck” for this new one. Brings to mind, “What’s in a name ...”. When a company reaches the point where there are no longer enough names to go around due to their offering so many funds, what does that say? :)

Still reading this story. Not entirely clear whether there’s a glide slope with this one - but probably not.
    (Actually, their website says there is a glide slope). I don’t understand where the firm is going with the launch of so many new funds in recent years. This one is a real puzzle (unless their goal is just to attract more and more assets). Dodge & Cox seems to do just fine with only 5 or 6 funds.

One thing that would steer me clear of this one - In order for it to work as intended, an investor would seem to have to entrust his/her entire retirement nest egg to this fund. Diversifying into several other funds would appear to thwart the fund’s intended goal.
  • edited October 2017
    msf said:
    Thanks. Rather than a “great find”, this one looks more like a golden oldie.