Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

China's CNOOC buys NEXEN, Canadian Oil & Gas.....LIP

edited July 2012 in Off-Topic

Comments

• edited July 2012
    I was actually going to post this as well. It's a pretty large purchase and shows China's continued push towards buying real assets around the world, especially in Canada and Africa, it seems. I would be surprised if it wasn't approved, as other recent actions by various Chinese interests in Canada have been approved.

I think this is also kinda interesting: "8:44 AM ET Cnooc CEO: Seeks To Be Listed At Toronto Stock Exchange After Acquisition Of NexenDow Jones"

CNOOC's pink-sheet foreign ordinary shares are $2. (CEOHF.PK) it also pays a pretty decent dividend.

More detailed article: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-07-23/cnooc-to-buy-canada-s-nexen-for-15-1-billion-to-expand-overseas.html
  • beebee
    edited July 2012
    I believe this trend lend itself to the consideration of the fund, TOLSX, (DWS RREEF Global Infrastructure S) which I came across this past week. It is a well diversified global infrastructure fund.

TOLSX

Fund Mojo:
    http://www.fundmojo.com/mutualfund/fund_report/mutualfund/TOLSX
  • Oddly enough, on the same day......
    (Sinopec = China Petroleum & Chemical Co)

Sinopec buys Talisman North Sea stake for $1.5 bln
    55 min ago - Steve Gelsi
    Sinopec buying Talisman assets for $1.5 bln
    8:12 a.m. Today - Steve Gelsi
  • Reply to @bee: I started a mild position in an infrastructure stock on Friday, but I would definitely wait before adding further to anything. I think some infrastructure sectors are particularly interesting, but I would also look for ones that offer a very nice dividend.