Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• Are you still buying individual muni bonds?
  • edited July 2012
    Reply to @Sven: Hi Sven, I usually pick and choose. I sold several of the tobaco bonds [from cali/Ohio downgraded to BB recently]. I bought several airport bonds from san jose airport/ san francisco dev [cusip 79771PU86].
    my tsp still 80% stocks and 20% bonds. otherwise not doing much.

I think when I've calculate my TOTAL portfolio few wks back about 65% stocks and 35% fixed incomes/bonds, which is very conservative in these environment. I just hate to loose money and feel more comfortable w/ having good dividend incomes.
    The other problems are taxations, don't know if I should sell some bonds before 12/30/12 due to new taxations laws [and put in off-shore accounts like RICH FOLKS LIKE OBAMA, RONO AND ROMNEY lol]

have a good weekend
  • Reply to @johnN: You must be one of the fortunate ones (the top 2%) whose adjusted gross income exceeds $250,000. We certainly don't come close to that. Bush tax cut is likely to be extent in some form for lower tax brackets. The Fiscal Cliff is more of concern to everyone, and both Parties in Congress deserve all the blame.

Are you buying muni through Edward Jones or other brokerages?
  • edited July 2012
    Reply to @Sven:
    HI Sven

LOL. ...not as rich as those folks but may get there in 10 yrs if I hang around MFO:).
    I am buying through these firms:

zionsdirect
    schwab [which I find they have great research teams and many bonds]
    edward jones [have not buy them in 9 months since the CFA left]

I had to pay a small % fees to IRS last year because zions did not report some of the capital dividend incomes...

you can do lots of research on these bonds w/ these sites:
    investinginbonds
    moodys.com
    or talk to the schwab bonds experts [free 800 number]
    mm
    or google the cusip or name of the bond

http://www.kiplinger.com/columns/balance/archive/interview-marilyn-cohen.html

fyi: sometimes you can see the actual firm that sponsor the bonds, or the county/number and you can call them yourself to ask questions about how they are doing.

CATCH22 ALSO SHOW ME A GREAT IDEA ABOUT 16 OR 20 MONTHS AGO:
    just set up google.com/alert with the bond name w/ the word default or bankrupt, it may send any news to your mail box immediately if there are any problems. That's how I found out tobacco bonds may bankrup and sold them right away. you may need a new google email acount [just set up a junk email there]
    http://www.google.com/alerts/create
    i.e. defaul or bankrup san jose arpt bond

• Reply to @johnN: Thanks. I will check out my brokerages and other sites you mentioned. How do you find time to do all the research necessary for bond picking, and monitoring once they are in your portfolio?
  • Reply to @Sven: Hi Sven, I don't really have time to look at all the bonds/stocks or mf/etf with family and work. I just let them swing passively. That's why the tsp/401K is 80% stocks and 20% bonds. I am very fortunate, did not get any bankrupcies [except for one bond last yr]. In 2011 made about ~10% in bonds year to date return so I was happy until the tax state time LOL.... but most investors I believe let the computer do all the work for you [setting up google alerts or get managers to look at the funds...]Hopefully the Gov will work out the tax issues especially for investors/middle class otherwise we'll be in troubles
  • Reply to @johnN: Same here with limited time for research... So we use Vanguard muni funds for diversification.