Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

JING - Bee

ron
edited July 2012 in Fund Discussions
Hi Bee,
I finally got around to your suggestion to download jing for sreen captures. Pretty neat and quick. I'd like to be able to capture a page like Morningstar -Xray. I didn't see a menu other than sun at the top of a page. Can that be done?
Thanks for the idea.

Comments

• beebee
    edited July 2012
    Hi ron,

The sun is the first "menu". Start by positioning your display screen for capture...sometimes you have to scroll up/down...left/right to get the screen to display correctly...say its a chart. Then, by hovering over the sun three icon options are displayed...screen capture is the icon with the plus (+) sign...click on it and wait for the screen capture window to display itself. You then use your mouse to create a window around what you want to capture...clicking to start the upper left corner of the capture window...move your mouse and click the lower right corner of the capture. If you like your select click on the capture image button...if not click on the cancel button and try again.

Once this is accomplished, Jing allows you to add text, boxes, arrows, etc. Once you are happy with the results click on the "share via screencast" icon...lower left area of the capture. This creates a html file of your capture. It can now be "pasted" into your MFO discussion.

I usually have MFO open in one window tab composing a comment while I am Jinging a capture in another window tab. While in MFO, place your cursor where you want the capture to appear. Now by pressing the [CTRL] + [V] keys on your keyboard. This will paste the capture in html format into your discussion dialog box. You'll see a lot of code appear but, once the message is posted it will display as your screen capture. Pretty cool.

Good Luck
  • bee, If I want to included an area below the bottom of the window, it does not move the capture and I cannor scroll to include it.
  • Hey ron,

In windows based machines the function key, F11, allows you to toggle other display menus on and off. F11 once will give you a more viewable screen, F11 again and you menus redisplay. This might give you enough display area.

Another option is to hold the control key (CTRL) and at the same time roll the scroll button on your three button mouse. This allows you to re-size your screen dynamically. Make it small enough to accomplish your capture. Later scroll it back to its original size.