Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Bank of Japan now holds about 70% of country's ETF market

A follow-up from my post about 1 year ago and BOJ's buying of the country's etf's and the ultimate "plunge protection program" from a powerful central bank of the world's third largest economy. I recall that a special etf class was "built" for similar purchases.

https://etfdailynews.com/2017/09/12/the-bank-of-japan-absolutely-dominates-domestic-etf-purchases-ewj/

Comments

• That means they're paying something in the neighborhood of $54 MM annually in the expense ratio. Don't you think they could just do the trades for the individual companies themselves and come out way ahead? Why should taxpayers accept that?
  • Hi @LLJB
    Here is a list of articles regarding the BOJ and their brief history of supporting their equity markets. I did not dig through the articles to discover whether the bank pays any fees for purchases; but $54MM/annual would likely be little to the overall program.

https://www.google.com/search?q=special+etf+for+bank+of+japan+purchases&oq=special+etf+for+bank+of+japan+purchases&aqs=chrome..69i57.29485j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
  • Hi @catch22 and thanks!! My $54MM was calculated in a ridiculous way that I didn't think much about at the time. As of a few months ago the BOJ owned roughly $144BN of equity securities. My $54MM would be less than 4 basis points as an expense ratio and you're right it's not a big number in terms of what they hold but its still a lot of money.

One interesting thing I read is that the BOJ's balance sheet is the same size as the Fed, but their GDP and population are about 30% of the US. They also didn't start this process until years after the Fed did and they're still going strong. So far I haven't read anything suggesting they're ready to stop printing money. I think we have to be a little worried about what might happen when the Fed starts reducing their balance sheet but I don't think I want to be anywhere near an investment in Japan when the rumors start. I've owned MAPIX for a pretty long time and been very happy with it but with 30% of the portfolio in Japan I might need to make it a smaller part of my portfolio.