Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

News On Hertz HTX To Explain 8% Pop Today? [Migrated To Foreign Tax Discussion]

edited September 2017 in Off-Topic
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• TedTed
    edited September 2017
    @Maurice: In a couple of words, Hurricane Harvey ! I hold quite a few HTZ 1/21 Bonds @7.37% that I bought a few weeks ago below par.
    Regards,
    Ted
    https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/30/hurricane-harvey-could-cause-a-price-surge-for-used-cars.html
  • Also, flooded cars (sold as flooded) may make there way onto rental car lots. These "wet wheels" remain useful profitable assets for rental companies. When was the last time you asked to see the title of the rental car you were renting? Flooded cars can also be re-titled or even given a clean title in another state and sold to unsuspecting buyers.

Rental agencies don't mind renting and then possibly selling usable "wet cars".
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Maurice: I'm not worried ! You should buy some, but unfortunately you need a high risk tolerance.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Mo, I'm curious to know why you settled on RDS-A instead of the more tax friendly B shares. If you care to comment.
  • @Maurice - It is my understanding that the difference is due to something called the "dividend access mechanism." The B shares have the dividend access mechanism, while the A shares do not. What the dividend access mechanism allows B shareholders to do is to forego withholding tax (15% by Dutch law) when or as it's distributed. Granted that you may be able to claim a foreign tax credit on the A share withholdings at years end when you prepare and file your taxes but I prefer to just forego all that nonsense where and when possible.
  • I'm no fan of SeekingAlpha, but this time I think they got the analysis basically right. In a taxable account where you can take the foreign tax credit, the after-tax dividends of each share class come out the same. However, since A shares seem to usually sell for less than the B shares, the yield comes out greater on A shares (in taxable accounts).

In a tax-sheltered account, its an easy call - you get 100% of the declared dividend on the B shares, and only 85% of the declared dividend on the A shares (as Mark noted). 100% beats 85%, B shares win. In an IRA all that matters is the amount of cash that actually gets put into your hands.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/1309411-choosing-which-royal-dutch-shell-share-class-is-right-for-you

Here's their share choice decision flowchart:

Note: The bottom right corner decision to buy A shares depends on being able to take the full foreign tax credit. To the extent that your individual tax situation limits the credit, that weakens the advantage of the A shares and may even make B shares preferable.
  • edited September 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @MFO Members: The lesson here, as Peter Lynch once said, invest in only what you know !
    Regards,
    Ted
  • edited September 2017
    One of the common bad investing ideas of all time, as well as a misquote
    http://www.marketwatch.com/story/peter-lynch-25-years-later-its-not-just-invest-in-what-you-know-2015-12-28

If I invested only in what I know, I could not be retired, or even close.
  • If I invested only in what I know, everything would be buried in a coffee can in the back yard.

About the only thing that Donald Rumsfeld ever had right was his observation about knowing what you don't know vs not knowing what you don't know.