Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Hey, I directed some folks here for fund and related investment discussion. Is this still valid?

Do I have to say/write more???

Respectfully,
Catch

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited August 2017
    Hi @Maurice

Thank you for the reply.
    The overall comments were of this type:
    1. They didn't mind the mix of the political as relative to effect upon the markets. They think this is indeed valid. But, obviously as we know too; when the topic of a statement or question about politics moved away from the investment effect and the thread became a shout down about politics.
    2. Threads that started with a direct question about a fund or funds and others opinions; but that also wandered away from the original question or statement into some other subject matter, not really related.
    3. Personal attacks, the cat fights.....

I will offer my own "thread start" example. I have not and will not post such a question here.

As Mr. Trump and the Republican party has had and continues to have problems regarding any resolution related to a "changed" healthcare legislation; what impact will this have upon healthcare sector investments? I suspect not all healthcare sectors would have the same investment pluses or minuses from changes.

This is a valid question for our house, as 35% of portfolio at this time, is invested in various healthcare sectors. I imagine this thread would blow up regarding argues ranging from libertarian to communist forms of "healthcare" for the regular folks.

Getting close to an unwind of the more active involvement with our portfolios anyway. So, "Happy Trails to You, until we meet again....." will be the future song relationship for this house.

ADD: I had a few email exchanges with Roy (FundAlarm) over the years about a few posts.:)

Take care,
    Catch
  • They can always be selective, like anyone anywhere on the web.

I cannot think where I have seen a question such as you pose above deteriorate badly, but maybe I skipped it when it did.
  • edited August 2017
    catch22 said:

"The overall comments were of this type:

1. They didn't mind the mix of the political as relative to effect upon the markets. They think this is indeed valid. But, obviously as we know too; when the topic of a statement or question about politics moved away from the investment effect and the thread became a shout down about politics.

2. Threads that started with a direct question about a fund or funds and others opinions; but that also wandered away from the original question or statement into some other subject matter, not really related.

3. Personal attacks, the cat fights..... "

@Catch22, Thanks for the insights.

Afraid I didn't comprehend your "hypothetical" case very well. But as to your overall more general skeleton (restated above) I think you are correct. Perfectly fine threads about mutual funds or investing do seem to go off the rails quite often. I don't have an easy answer and I'll plead guilty as charged on my own account. I think it (staying focused on the subject of the thread) is something all of us can work on.

On the other hand, if your friends were to come on board and ask specific questions from the standpoint of a "newbie" I've no doubt they'd be well received by the veterans and treated to a multitude of interesting and accurate answers. Afraid it's the nature of the beast that those of us who've been around a while often end up grousing with one another over no good reason.

Can't speak to other forums. This is the only one I've ever developed an interest in. Personally, I don't even like the statistical presentations at M* - and I've never read or participated on their board - although some here have said very fine things about that forum.

Catch, I've always considered you a very positive influence here. One thing I'll note is that the markets have been boring for a long time. Slight drift upward. No sharp corrections. Bonds continue to slog along at impossibly low rates and high valuations. And, indexing seems to rule the day. So there's not a lot to excite interest. That may help explain some of the unnecessary diversionary tactics you've noted.

FWIW
  • @catch22, your writing style is often hard to follow, but does the statement below mean you are not participating with MFO anymore? I hope that is not the case.

You started with a comment on directing friends to MFO but end with this:
    Getting close to an unwind of the more active involvement with our portfolios anyway. So, "Happy Trails to You, until we meet again....." will be the future song relationship for this house.
  • Since you ask,,,,,, I would no longer suggest an investor friend invest any time here. Not because there are repuglicans who out themselves here but because participants have to wade through entirely too many links to unimportant stories. Not really very many discussions but lots of distractions. Do we really need to know about every obscure fund that is closing shop? I suggest we all stick to a self imposed link limit. Start more discussions and post fewer links.
  • @Catch22 - if your query re: health care was legitimate and not just an example then you might get some insight here:

http://www.schwab.com/public/schwab/nn/articles/Healthcare-sector
  • Alternatively, one can go to Bogleheads site.

Realistically, what are your friends looking for?
  • @sven. One only has to look at the boglehead board once and you got it. Their Outlook is locked in forever. Not altogether bad but it's like groundhog day,,, a broken record. You know what I mean.
  • edited August 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.