Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Affiliated Managers Group (AMG)'s Healey Rules $400 Billion Empire With Stakes in 28 Funds

Comments

• Just read this. Might not be clear from the headline, but this article is a profile of Affiliated Managers Group (AMG) which recently bought Yacktman and also owns AQR and other fund managers. It heavily emphasizes AMG's "hands off" approach, which should be reassuring to Yacktman owners.

Also owning fund management companies does indeed seem like a great investment. If I had some shares, I wouldn't complain so much about high E/R (maybe I'd even say they were too low, hah!)
  • Interesting article. Thanks for pointing it out.
  • I agree. Really good article. Thanks for sharing.
  • Reply to @claimui: I think it really depends. You continue to see outflows from US equity funds e-ver-y single week (http://www.ici.org/research/stats/flows/flows_07_18_12).

However, bonds continue to see inflows. I wouldn't, for example, own something along the lines of Janus (JNS) - not necessarily from a reputation standpoint, but I wouldn't own something that focuses largely on aggressive equity funds.

That said, if one wanted to take a risk with an inexpensive stock, US Global Investors (GROW) is $4 and change and pays a monthly dividend. If one believed natural resources (which is US Global's focus) were to do better, that would be an option.

T Rowe Price (TROW) seems to be holding up well, although they did just miss earnings this morning.
  • Reply to @claimui: You are right. I've added Affiliated Managers Group (AMG) to the title so people could make better connection. Thanks for checking out and the feedback.