Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Fidelity Global Balanced Fund to close to new investors

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/354046/000137949117005298/filing694.htm

497 1 filing694.htm PRIMARY DOCUMENT

Supplement to the
Fidelity® Global Balanced Fund
December 30, 2016
Prospectus

Effective the close of business on August 11, 2017, new positions in the fund may no longer be opened. Shareholders of the fund on that date may continue to add to their fund positions existing on that date. Investors who did not own shares of the fund on August 11, 2017, generally will not be allowed to buy shares of the fund except that new fund positions may be opened: 1) by participants in most group employer retirement plans (and their successor plans) if the fund had been established (or was in the process of being established) as an investment option under the plans (or under another plan sponsored by the same employer) by August 11, 2017, 2) by participants in a 401(a) plan covered by a master record keeping services agreement between Fidelity and a national federation of employers that included the fund as a core investment option by August 11, 2017, 3) for accounts managed on a discretionary basis by certain registered investment advisers that have discretionary assets of at least $500 million invested in mutual funds and have included the fund in their discretionary account program since August 11, 2017, 4) by a mutual fund or a qualified tuition program for which FMR or an affiliate serves as investment manager, 5) by a portfolio manager of the fund, and 6) by a fee deferral plan offered to trustees of certain Fidelity funds, if the fund is an investment option under the plan. These restrictions generally will apply to investments made directly with Fidelity and investments made through intermediaries. Investors may be required to demonstrate eligibility to buy shares of the fund before an investment is accepted.

GBL-17-02
1.855563.122 August 1, 2017

Comments

• Open 24 years with less than 500 million AUM and mediocre performance. Maybe Fidelity is getting ready to merge this fund into another global or international fund.
  • I didn't know Fidelity ever closed funds.
  • The only funds I can remember Fidelity closing were 2-3 small cap value funds and Fidelity Growth Company fund.
  • Magellan was closed at one time also.
  • Various Fidelity funds have been closed from time to time. I don't have a good way to find them, but if you've got a guess, you can go to the "Composition" tab on Fidelity's web site and look near the bottom of the page for "Historical Fund Information".

For example, Low Priced (FLPSX) has been closed five times:

3/6/92 - 5/29/92
    2/9/93 - 9/19/93
    4/3/98 - 3/16/99
    5/18/02 - 11/18/02
    12/31/03 - 12/15/08

Obviously the last one was the most significant, and it took the great recession to get Fidelity to reopen it.

I also recall New Millennium (FMILX) closing. Fidelity confirms: closed 5/15/96 - 5/1/07
  • I've been proven wrong (yet again). :-)
  • edited August 2017
    As a side note, the various classes are also affected:

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/354046/000035404617000011/agbl_sup.htm
  • For what interest it holds, I've reached out to Fidelity with this very question. I'll let you know what I (don't?) hear.

David