Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Technical Analysis Tip of the Month for August, 2017

Don't be afraid to alter an indicator's values to suit your needs and chart time frame.

Say that you're familiar with the MACD indicator and are using its standard values of (12,26,9) on daily charts. First, if you're using the MACD line zero crossings just to tell you when the 12-day EMA crosses the 26-day EMA, you can eliminate the 9-day EMA "signal line" by switching to (12,26,0). Then, suppose you want to use weekly charts instead of a daily ones. You'll find that on a weekly chart, values more like (4,9,0) are needed to provide about the same timing of MACD line zero crossings as (12,26,0) on a daily chart.

Comments

• edited August 2017
    @Tony,

Thanks for posting your views and thoughts. I'll experiment a little using SPY in my already established chart matrix. By no means am I a technical analysis expert; but, the things you have noted in your recent post(s) have been enlightening.

Additional comment of August 2, 2017.

After using the standard code (12,26,9) I substituted both the daily charting option code that you suggested (12,26,0) and weekly charting code (4,9,0). Both were interesting.

My weekly charting code, thus far, for the MACD have been (1,65,0) for the Elder Impluse System (intermediate term signal). This might be something for others to look at along with the others you noted. I have also used (1,13,0) for the short term signal. But, the (1,65,0) seemed to provide the 65 day sell trigger that Elder recommended for the weekly chart setting. And, the sort term MACD code of (1,13,0) was determined by (65/5=13).

Any thoughts and/or comments?

Skeet
  • edited August 2017
    Hi again @Tony and others,

I edited my first comment of August 1st with an additional comment note. With this, I am bringing this thread back to the top of the stack. Any thoughts and or additional comments would be welcome?

Skeet