Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Dunkirk

Went to see 'Dunkirk' yesterday afternoon with a friend, and highly recommend it. As a World War II buff, I especially liked the dog fight scences involving the British Spitfire, the German Stuka Dive Bomber, and the Heinkel Bomber.
Regards,
Ted

Trailer:

Comments

• Yup, that's a must-see for me. Thanks for that one, @Ted.
  • I really want to see this as well. Thanks for the info, Ted !
  • I'm also a WW II buff, Ted, and intend to see this one. Thanks.

OJ
  • It's also available on an IMAX screen, which would be pretty spectacular.
  • @PRESSmUP- yes, that's what I'm waiting for. Need to find an IMAX around here showing that film.
  • @MFO Members: Yes, I failed to mention I saw Dunkirk in IMAX, My only problem with IMAX was the sound. It was so loud the whole theater shook when the explosions went off. I should have brought ear-plugs !
    Regards,
    Ted
  • I agree that IMAX are too loud. Behind the screen, there are over several column of speakers! It is so realistic that you can feel the vibration. When my young kids saw one on animal migration in Africa they got scare and cover their ears.
  • WWII buffs may find this interesting, and there are other partial demurs elsewhere:

https://inews.co.uk/essentials/culture/film/dunkirk-wrong-historian-james-holland/
  • Listening to stories from my father's friends and family relatives (at least those who would talk about the war) helped add to my natural curious side when I was a young'in. My first WW II tv exposure to the visual side with narration and some descriptive information was the "Victory at Sea" series. I have read books, but still lean toward the visual. Over the years and more so in the past 10-15 years, production companies have placed a decent collection of important events during this period (World at War) for both the European and Pacific.

I was disappointed with the overall presentation of "Dunkirk" and the producer(s) missed a grand opportunity to educate the public about the before and after facts. I suspect this would have taken 2-4 minutes of graphic text with background info.
    A great deal of information is available about this early stage of WW II and I feel a very good Masters/Graduate group from any of the top 10 cinema arts schools in the U.S. would be capable of producing a better representation.
    One aspect depicted that is different from 99% of military movies and more realistic; was related to the fact that all aircraft stuck by bullets do not immediately burst into flames, the limitations of the amount of ammunition housed within fighter aircraft and that the depicted British pilots did short bursts of firing and the limitations of distance and active engagement (using more fuel) due to fuel limitations.

A post from almost 2 years ago........

http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/discussion/22968/rewards-from-one-s-efforts-b-17-not-as-in-bingo-but-as-in-boeing-bomber-and-wwii/p1

Oh, well. I will not recommend this movie and rate it a "blah".
    Although interested in military history, I remain a pacifist and that not all events must be settled via a military.

Victory at Sea

WW II documentary series, numerous

• @MFO Members: As usual, like most things, Catch22 missed the mark. He doesn't realize the discussion is about the movie and a episode that took place durning World War II, not World War II itself. Victory At Sea, a great musical score ! I also venture to say he will remain a pacifist until someone tries to take his property and harm his family
    Regards,
    Ted
    Wikipedia: Victory At Sea:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victory_at_Sea

Music:
  • edited July 2017
    Not much of a war buff when it comes to theatrical or cinematic art. That said, The New Yorker recently published a somewhat tantalizing review of Dunkirk - mostly critiquing its unorthodox artistic approach. http://www.newyorker.com/culture/richard-brody/dunkirk-a-war-movie-about-patriotic-ciphers

My dad was on the European front in WWII (heavy artillery) and really seemed to want to avoid the subject. While he viewed it as necessary, I think he was appalled by the suffering all around and the senselessness of it all. My views on war, rightly or wrongly, have been shaped by Hemingway (A Farewell to Arms), Vonnegut (Slaughterhouse Five) and John Hersey (Hiroshima).
    ---

From Edgar Lee Masters:

And we are voiceless in the presence of realities—
    We cannot speak.

A curious boy asks an old soldier
    Sitting in front of the grocery store,
    "How did you lose your leg?"
    And the old soldier is struck with silence,
    Or his mind flies away
    Because he cannot concentrate it on Gettysburg.
    It comes back jocosely
    And he says, "A bear bit it off."
    And the boy wonders, while the old soldier
    Dumbly, feebly lives over
    The flashes of guns, the thunder of cannon,
    The shrieks of the slain,
    And himself lying on the ground,
    And the hospital surgeons, the knives,
    And the long days in bed.
    But if he could describe it all
    He would be an artist.
    But if he were an artist there would he deeper wounds