Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The Constant Reminder

FYI: One of the benefits, maybe the only benefit of watching the market as closely as I do, being that I’m not an active trader, is that I’m constantly reminded that I have no idea what’s going to happen.

The S&P 500 (total return) has experienced eight straight years of gains. It’s been five and a half years since a 20% decline. The CAPE ratio is at 28. And a new administration entered the White House. Coming into 2017, I don’t think many people would have predicted we’d experience below-average volatility in the stock market.

For the first half of the year, the average absolute daily price change, meaning all negative signs are removed, is just 0.32%. If the year ended today, this would be the smallest daily price change since 1965! It’s hard to imagine a period in which there’s been such a wide gap between daily political volatility and daily stock market volatility.
Regards,
Ted
http://theirrelevantinvestor.com/2017/07/12/the-constant-reminder/