Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

More Than 1,500 Fidelity Workers Take Buyouts

FYI: More than 1,500 workers with Fidelity Investments, most of them long-time employees, have taken a voluntary buyout package, the first the company has offered in its history as it braces for dramatic shifts in money management.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2017/06/30/more-than-fidelity-workers-take-buyouts/IyiNQtFLaZo8V5VD2MdjKK/story.html

Comments

• Fidelity targeted about 7 percent of its workforce, all of them employees who were age 55 or older and had been with the company for at least 10 years.
    Isn't that constitute age discrimination?
  • Sven: Offered buy out, not forced. Recently all members of my local union on medicare were forced to find new drug insurance & were removed from plan as of 1/1/17 Age discrimination or not ?

Derf
  • @Derf, Then why target a particular age group even if it is voluntary? What if that group do not wish to take the buyout? Buyouts in private industry refers to a voluntary separation with a severance package.

• Yes you have a point Sven. I'm guessing it should have been offered to employees with 20 years or more of service. That would take away age discrimination.
    Happy 4/th,
    Derf

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Hi guys!
    I will say only this: in our retirement package, you had to be 55 with 10 years of employment. Also, it was not offered to office people. Also, not to engineering personnel. At our plant (we have 20 worldwide), this is the second time in 10 years they have done this with us. Other plants have had packages also, so it must be something they can do at their discretion to pare down production as necessary. 'Cause we're non-union? Who knows?
    God bless
    the Pudd
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Didn't know "buy outs" were still a thing. In my world they still lay out out with 2 weeks notice. If you have spent substantial time with company they also give you 1- week pay for each year of service.

Hoping my kids will work for themselves and not for a corporation.