Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Moving Averages: June Month-End Update

"Buying and selling based on a moving average of monthly closes can be an effective strategy for managing the risk of severe loss from major bear markets."
https://www.advisorperspectives.com/dshort/updates/2017/06/30/moving-averages-june-month-end-update

Comments

• edited July 2017
    Hi @Tony,

Thanks for posting Jill Mislinski's blurb on Moving Averages. I follow some of her other work as well but had not yet gotten around to viewing them.

I'm wondering if moving average strategies are something you use within your own portfolio?

Thanks,

Skeet
  • Hi Skeet,

Yes, I use moving averages, both singly (the "T-line") and as part of MACD, as well as other technical indicators and overlays.

Best, Tony
  • Hi @Tony,

Just a thought ... Perhaps since you are an end user of these type strategies you would be open to doing a weekly commentary concerning these technical indicators and overlays. I'm sure some of us old grey hairs on the board would find this interesting if not beneficial.

Again ... Just a thought.

My best,
    Skeet
  • Thanks, Skeet, but I don't think that MFOers have that much interest in technical analysis. I'll think about adding something to the July Month-End Update posting, however.
  • edited July 2017
    @Tony, I think there would be interest. If you notice in the "what are you buying/selling/pondering" post old_skeet puts out, some are buying at the same time as some are selling. Some based on analysis I suppose but maybe more based on emotion. Your analysis would be a welcomed contrast.