Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Part Trois, Not many friends today anywhere in investment land, eh?

edited July 2017 in Fund Discussions
JUNE 27

Okay, so the investment world titans; being the machine algos, the humans and the human controlled machine algos are at money wars in the background. One can see them at the roulette wheel placing the bets. Must be a mismatch somewhere, eh?
Guaranteed, that traders tipping a few after work today will be asking the same questions.
Hey, take care,
Catch

chg | %

ITOT domestic equity blend-0.64%

FREL domestic real estate-0.37%

HEDJ Europe hedged-1.38%

FHLC domestic health-1.13%

LQD investment grade corp. bonds-0.43%

IEF gov't. bonds -0.50%

EDV long term gov't bonds -1.33%

HYG domestic high yield bonds -.31%

Comments

• @catch22:: Earth calling catch22, you message is garbled and difficult to understand. Please retry !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Regards,
    Ted
  • edited June 2017
    @Catch

From Andromeda ...

Thanks for the capsulation. Very interesting day. PIEQX (International Equity Index) did gain. It's all non-U.S. developed markets. You can bet those markets will catch-up (err...fall down) with ours overnight.
  • edited June 2017
    Howdy @Ted
    Gee, I don't know. When I channeled with Rod (Serling) he felt comfortable with the statements.
    He reminded me of two of his early quotes, "There is nothing in the dark that isn't there when the lights are on." and "It may be said with a degree of assurance that not everything that meets the eye is as it appears."

If Rod gets it, I'm good with that..... :)

Take care,
    Catch
  • edited July 2017
    JUNE 29

No, not an everything list and the same list from the 27th of June.
    Gonna need some Preparation H if this continues.
    Hey, ask someone you know who has the inside track; as to where the money is flowing.
    Thank you.

chg | %

ITOT -0.82%

FREL -1.18%

HEDJ -2.38%

FHLC -0.91%

LQD -0.31%

IEF -0.37%

EDV -1.07%

HYG -0.25%

• edited July 2017
    JULY 6

Still wondering where the big money moves with many sectors getting the whack.

chg | %

ITOT -0.94%

FREL -1.82%

HEDJ -1.11%

FHLC -1.57%

LQD -0.26%

IEF -0.19%

EDV -1.30%

HYG -0.25%

Thinking about how many "part 1, 2, 3, 4's, etc." will I put up with before I "depart" our own investment parts.

Take care,
    Catch
  • I really think we need days like this in the market to give us some perspective on how our respective portfolios would react. It's a good wake-up call and helps us determine if our AA is where it should be. At least it does so for me.
  • edited July 2017
    Haven't checked yet. I'm hopeful. Quoting RR: "There must be a pony here somewhere.":)
    ---
    Full Disclosure - Everything's red today except 3 short term bond funds. Guess the short stuff's the pony.
  • Hi @willmatt72
    I agree. Perspective adjustment periods, yes?
    The current short lived adjustments are nothing like the volumes and swings that began after Halloween of 2007 through the spring of 2008.....that quiet period before the storm.
    I'm waiting for the text messages from those of whom I told the markets are not going to move downward................next question please! :)
  • @hank
    Ok, now you're not supposed to be making us work this much.......too damn hot in Michigan today.......although beats the hell out of winter.
    I see you didn't want the storms anymore and pushed them to the east coast..................

Anyway, here's the pony story attribute.

http://quoteinvestigator.com/2013/12/13/pony-somewhere/
  • @Catch22: The drop in bond prices leading to increased yields was more than adequately cover in the "The Closing Bell." There is no need to slap bond ETFs declines on the board, it just makes the board look cluttered.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • First time in a long time no green, all red. But hey, cash did not go down:) Have a higher level of cash than I usually do in my iras from some profit taking, will do some buying when and if it goes down further
  • Hi @Ted
    Oh, its okay.
    I'm thinking of a running theme here and wondering how high the french numbering count will achieve before the smooth and calm takes place again.
    Surely your links are appreciated and there is more than enough space in the MFO server for a few more 1's and 0's from whomever.
    Take care,
    Catch
  • edited July 2017
    @Catch - That's wonderful. Now I'll be up half the night reading all the various "pony" lineage. Thanks.

Added: Yeah - Storms missed us, but they got whacked a bit further south around West Branch. Still getting some cooling effect here along the Lake Michigan shore.

@Willmatt22 - Sorta agree. Except I was around that afternoon in October '87 when the Dow decided to fall nearly 23% without warning. That's a "wake up call."
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_daily_changes_in_the_Dow_Jones_Industrial_Average
  • edited July 2017
    Ted said:

@Catch22: The drop in bond prices leading to increased yields was more than adequately cover in the "The Closing Bell." There is no need to slap bond ETFs declines on the board, it just makes the board look cluttered.
    Regards,
    Ted

@Ted: Surely you jest!

• @Willmatt22- Yeah,I well remember also. Unlike 07/08 that one came out of nowhere. More of a bathroom call than a wake-up call.
  • @OldJoe - Yes, I remember those days of 100, 200, 300, 400-point losses for several trading days during late 2007 to early 2009. I think there was a 700-point loss in late September, 2008. I kept watching the opening bell everyday waiting for relief, but it didn't come ! That was brutal, I must say. Lots of Pepto.
  • ACVVX MERFX,QMNNX up. Rest is flat or down. At least MM substitute TRBUX was flat.
  • beebee
    edited July 2017
    Just pure speculation, but could Treasury be selling assets prior to good news?

Today, July 7th, the market jump positively on news of higher than expected jobs report (something that Treasury should have been fully aware of). Yesterday's sell off would have been the perfect day to reduce some of Treasury's assets knowing that today's good news would encourage buying by the overall market.

Treasury has many "tools in the treasury toolbox", but I believe selling assets will be a much larger challenge than buying them was.

Strategically selling assets a day or two in front of good news seems like a reasonable way for Treasury to reduce assets while attempting to maintain some stability in the market.