Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

FRIFX - RANNX

Hi guys!
I've been thinking about real estate since I have no space in the port of it right now. The two (2) funds I'm looking at are FRIFX and RANNX. Soooo, anybody have any opinion or knowledge of them or better ideas right now? I would like to start a small holding and build from there.
God bless
the Pudd

Comments

• Meant RAANX.....sorry, guys.
  • Pudd, what fund is RANNX?

I think real estate has struggled a bit this year with retail and Fed rate worries (the latter more overblown than the former, IMHO), as well as uncertainty in "Trumpcare," so starting a holding in real estate at this time is probably not a bad idea.

FRIFX is more of a hybrid real estate fund, with holdings in preferreds (there we go with that "hybrid" term again ;). It's moves are more muted than most real estate funds. Not sure what your second fund is, but it may be a good idea to pair with a more traditional RE equity fund.
  • I hold FRIFX in the same nearer-term accounts that contain PONDX.
  • I own and like FRIFX. Very conservative. Owns, equity, bonds and preferreds.
  • Hi guys!
    Thanks for the kickback. I see what you mean about FRIFX. I put it up against PONDX....looks bond-ish. Have you looked at RAANX? It has a lot of cell towers, data centers,......it's not your typical RE fund, I don't think. OR, am I a bit wrong on that? I'm not looking for a lot of retail in a fund or businesses that move easily. I want things that stay put....lol. I know! Doesn't everybody?
    Anyways, thanks.
    God bless
    the Pudd
  • edited June 2017
    Puddnhead said:

Have you looked at RAANX? It has a lot of cell towers, data centers,......it's not your typical RE fund, I don't think.

Right, unusual holdings - sort of r/e and infrastructure - and it's long-short. Worth a close look, imho. Thanks for pointing it out.

If you like the lean toward infrastructure, you might take a look at GLFOX.
  • @ Puddnhead: Look at Cohen & Steers Real Estate Funds.
    Regards,
    Ted
    Cohen & Steers Website:
    https://www.cohenandsteers.com/funds/mutual-funds

M* Cohen & Steers Family Of funds:
    http://quicktake.morningstar.com/fundfamily/cohen-steers/0C00001YQF/fund-list.aspx