Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Big Investors, Unfazed By Techs' Roller Coaster, Buy 'FANG' Stocks

FYI: Large investors, whose high exposure to large-cap technology stocks boosted their returns during the first quarter of the year, are doubling down on their investments even as stocks like Apple Inc (AAPL.O) and Facebook Inc (FB.O) stumble.

Fund managers such as T Rowe Price and Federated Investors, who were already overweight the sector, said they were buying beaten-down so-called 'FANG' stocks – Facebook, Amazon.com Inc (AMZN.O), Netflix Inc (NFLX.O) and Google-parent Alphabet Inc (GOOGL.O) - during a two-day selloff that marked the largest tech sector decline in nearly a year.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-tech-investors-idUSKBN1942E3

Comments

• edited June 2017
    If they're rebalancing or perhaps modestly adding to positions (as the TRP guy is doing), okay. If they're going hog-wild and overloading existing positions or dumping massive AUM into new ones, given this was a 2-day "blip" in the grand scheme of things I am not sure that's a good idea at the moment. Remember that BTFD works great in a bull market .... until it doesn't.

But then again, I don't have & manage OPM, just my own.
  • Most investors who own broadly diversified US stock funds are likely have enough exposure to the FAANG stocks. Yes, they have out-performed S&P500 this year. Their valuation is also well above the broader index. I still think better entry points are ahead.