Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Mutual fund newsletter July 17

edited June 2017 in Fund Discussions
http://funds-newsletter.com/june17-newsletter/june17.htm
New Model Portfolios Beginning July, 2017

By Tom Madell

The recommendations contained in these latest Portfolios are based on my up-to-date analysis of stock and bond fund prospects. Note, however, when subsequently calculating returns on how these Portfolios have performed, I will use a July 1, 2017 starting date.

Comments

• I just read that. A good read. Thank you.
  • edited June 2017
    Hi @JohnN,

I most always enjoy reading Dr. Madell's newsletter. I find it interesting if one were to add the stock, bond and cash allocations for all three portfolios and then average them; they average at cash 20%, bonds 30% and stocks 50%. This is pretty much Old_Skeet's baseline allocation. And, by doing this one can see just how much each model is adjusted from the average of the three.

I also like his move to increase the foreign stock weighting in Europe with the addition of a new fund (VEURX) while eliminating a small cap fund (DISVX).

I wonder what others might find of value or their take away from reading the newsletter?

Thanks again for posting the newsletter. Indeed, I find his writting expressing his thinking of value.

Old_Skeet
  • I find it interesting that the moderate allocations are so much closer to aggressive than conservative. Granted, conservative is very conservative, but I would have incorrectly assumed that moderate would be more or less the same as the averages you calculated.

It's also nice to see someone taking a balanced approach to picking funds, both active and passive, which isn't all that common.